Which soft light?

I helped on a film shoot in a bar (2am to 9am...I'm tired!). The DP used a large Chimera soft box to light the actors. I've read that soft lights are great for interviews as well as dramatic scenes.

But I'm clueless about soft lights! I see them all over the page, price-wise. The Chimera the DP said cost over $600. The other one I'm considering is the Rifa 1000 watt by Lowel.

Any preference?

I have a Lowel Tota and an Omni. I have some LED panels which work fine for interviews, but I don't know that they will fill a room for a dramatic shoot. I have some reflectors from the big box stores as well as some ND gels to control that light. I also have a 5 way reflector and foam core.

I've talked my way into being the lighting guy for a very small shoot that will be in a home office. I've not seen it yet, but it's about 12x14 or so, I understand. We have to tape off the window because the director doesn't want any natural light.

Would either of those lights work in this situation? Are they too big?

The shoot is in two weeks!

I helped on a film shoot in a bar (2am to 9am...I'm tired!). The DP used a large Chimera soft box to light the actors. I've read that soft lights are great for interviews as well as dramatic scenes.

But I'm clueless about soft lights! I see them all over the page, price-wise. The Chimera the DP said cost over $600. The other one I'm considering is the Rifa 1000 watt by Lowel.

Any preference?

I have a Lowel Tota and an Omni. I have some LED panels which work fine for interviews, but I don't know that they will fill a room for a dramatic shoot. I have some reflectors from the big box stores as well as some ND gels to control that light. I also have a 5 way reflector and foam core.

I've talked my way into being the lighting guy for a very small shoot that will be in a home office. I've not seen it yet, but it's about 12x14 or so, I understand. We have to tape off the window because the director doesn't want any natural light.

Would either of those lights work in this situation? Are they too big?

The shoot is in two weeks!

I have a westcott spiderlight. fits 5 spiral flos or tungsten bulbs. I don't love it for narative stuff, but it's great for glamor and ads.

Those Rifas are sweet, but Photoflex lights will work just as well at a much lower price. They are not as versatile as the Rifa lights (which let you change the bulb type), but are still a great product.

Back