Which Lens for Canon t3i?

I've been filming with video cameras for a few years but recently made the switch to DSLR and bought a Canon 600D/t3i.

It came with a 18-55 lens but the videos filmed with it look rubbish. I bought a 50mm prime lens which gives amazing results but it's got a very low depth of field so is only appropriate in certain situations.

I want to get another lens which will have everything in focus when shooting (I don't know all the technical terms yet) and has amazing quality results.

I want to start shooting music videos.

I am thinking of a Canon 17-40mm. What would you guys recommend?

That 18-55 will get you great images once you learn to use it. The 50mm will get you long DoF if you "Stop it Down"… change the f-stop setting to a higher number. f/16 will get most of your scene in focus throughout the entire aperture range. It does this by closing the aperture and making it closer to a pinhole camera.

What about your 18-55mm shots are "rubbish" to you? I have that lens and can get great video with it. I supplemented my kit with a Tamron 28-200mm "Super zoom" lens that I run with most of the time. It's nice as the focus ring stays in place when you zoom, so it'll ride a rail system with a focus ring well.

The 17-40 range is covered by your 18-55mm, I'd diversify a bit and get lenses to cover a greater range. If you're looking for primes, 18, 35, 50(which you have), 85, 135, 200, 400 will get you all the shots you would ever realistically want. Look for lower f-stop numbers … 1.8 is a nice fast lens that will do well in many situations. While you may not always use it at 1.8, it's nice to have the option if you want that shallower depth of field. Most lenses prefer to be run at f/8 to get the best image possible from them.

18-55 is rubbish,but it is mostly the man/woman behind the lens who makes it look stunning. Instead of spending money, spend time on learning the theory of photography. Google Aperture and depth of field

Back