Which HD Cam for which Famous Hollywood Movies

Hi friends i want to know which famous Hollywood movies used anyone of the cameras listed below?

JVC GZ-MG505
JVC GZ-HD7
JVC HD5
JVC HD6
Canon HV20
Canon HV30
Sony HDR-SR12
JVC 110 / 200 / 250

Name the Hollywood movies which have used any one of the above mentioned HD CAMS.(Dont forget to tell the name of HD cam too with the film)

Regards

"Hollywood" uses 35mm, 70mm, Genesis, F900, etc. Indies use DV, HDV, and low end HD cameras. I've made a movie using an HV20, and I'm about to make another with 2 HV20's and an A1.

I think i should change the question a little to make it easier.

I mean Which Movies Released in US (and in International Market) have made huge profits by using these question?

well i heard big hits like 28days later were shot on HD cam???

by the way WIDESHOT any link of your movie??

Regards

28 Days later was shot using "Canon XL-1S, Canon EC and EJ Prime Lenses with Optex adapter" Standard def, and then cleaned up and scanned to 35mm, according to IMDB.

Search for directorrik's post on one of the digital camera threads, he's done a pretty good job keeping track of movies shot using consumer/prosumer/professional cameras.

If one more person suggests that the camera on which a movie was shot somehow determined the success or failure of that movie, I'm going to barf all over my keyboard.

What I want to know is how many movies shot on 35mm did not make any money, or lost millions of dollars. How many flops were made on excellent, high end equipment?

I really try to be helpful here, but you people who are hung up on which camera is going to make you a million dollars need to get your head out of your *** and take a reality check. Any movie made with "Camera X" that made millions of dollars probably had a great story, an experienced DP, some great acting, and got picked up by an international distributor.

Doug (I wish Clive had said it, but he's at Cannes and someone had to say it) ... sorry moderators.

who is the idiot saying Success depends upon cams???but having a knowledge of things like that might be helpfull in planning

Next Time befor posting any message like that just try to know the person about whom you are giving might live in a different society... with completely different norms and values.

I am happy Clive hasnt said anything like that .I couldt give him such a harsh reply neither i could have expressed my anger .....and keeping that anger in my heart would have damaged me only

Last edited:
Doug (I wish Clive had said it, but he's at Cannes and someone had to say it) ... sorry moderators.

LOL... Am I getting a reputation? (Oh, and I'm not at Cannes until Sunday)

Picking the right camera to make a film for international release is a complicated issue... and as everyone has pointed out, you're coming at the question from the direction.

There is an ever growing list of films shot on camcorders not originally designed to make feature films:

FILMS SHOT WITH VX1000
==============
Visitor Q
In The Family
Bamboozled
Dancer in the Dark
Waking Life
The Cruise

FILMS SHOT WITH OTHER PROSUMER CAMERAS
=================================
Chuck & Buck
Julian Donkey Boy
The Idiots
Last Call
Blair Witch
Open Waters
28 Days Later

Now, all of the above films were shot on standard def cameras... and the cameras you quoted are all Hi-Def.

In theory, a good DOP could make a feature film with any of them.

However, the truth of the matter is, cameras play only a very small part in the overall success of a movie. You can shoot on pretty much anything, provided you have an absolutely stunning script, a camera operator who knows how to get the best out of the camera, a director who knows how to get the best out of a cast and also understands the limitations of the camera... and finally an editor who can both cut the movie into something special and at the same time understands the best workflow to get the most from your footage.

What I suggest is this... don't worry about the camera. Get your script nailed. Make it the best script ever. Then find incredible locations. Then find a professional camera operator and an editor and sit down with them, Show them the script and the locations... let the two experts decide which camera is the best for the job, working to the budget you've allocated.

Too many independent film makers see buying a camera as the first step. It shouldn't be. Make decisions about the camera when you're ready to shoot... and let your team figure out what they need.

There is another reason for doing this. HD camcorders are improving in quality and coming down in price. If it takes you a year to get your script and team together... well, by then God only knows what you'll be able to buy for the same price. Not only that, professional camera rigs are evolving as well. In a year's time you might be able to get a professional, second hand, Varicam for the same price.

Finally... (and Oh God am I getting tired of typing this one)

As a friend I'd like to suggest you go back and edit your last post. Most of the guys here are American and they all love their Mom's. This is a business that only survives on goodwill and the sharing of expertise. Doug is one smartest guys on here when it comes to post production workflows and keeping high quality images in post production. Chances are you're going to need his advice at some point in the future.

Even if you don't agree with people, it's better not to post in anger. (Unless you're me... the Dr. House of indie film making LOL)

Last edited:
Thanks for telling my how you feel, but my post is still entirely valid. You should be more concerned about how you are going to market your movie than you are about finding the camera that will guaranty your success. I agree you should know as much as you can about the camera and it's capabilities before you spend your money, but someone else's success is not relevant to the success you will have with similar equipment.

Obviously, if you're angry with me, you don't realize that I am trying to help you. If your success is critical, then you should focus on those things that will really affect the outcome.

Finally, don't be too presumptuous about me and my background and/or situation.

Doug

p.s. My post wasn't directed specifically at you, but at the proliferation of similar posts asking similar questions.

Befor reading anything just want to say thanks Clive.....

Regards to you (Because you are a teacher to me and you understand problems of newcomers.I dont want that at the first day shoot after seeing the results i should sit at the footpaath and cry)

Everyone's money is very precious asset. And asking more and more question dont decrease anything. It increases the respect of the person who answers and knowledge of the questioner

Clive Hats off to you

Well friend oakstreetphotovideo who siad i am not concerned about the story, and marketing issue???i am studieng Business, Finance and Accounting.I know without Makreting you cant even sell the best Hollywood stuff.and i have posted matter related to that.I have asked about the marketing trends from Clive.see my post

which language should i use for my movie.

and he said he wil lrpely as he will get stuff.I am also trying to contact distributors to make a market research report that what are thre priorities for movies with good script but no big names.I have all my hands and legs in all departments of Movie.

Ok lets do one thing

i will make a new post specifically related to this topic of marketing so that more and more people can directly discucc this issue...
i am sorry i just got rude with you.

I looses my temper when someone tries to make fun of my low level of knowledge but here i was not even postinf afoolish question....

Everyone's money is very precious asset. And asking more and more question dont decrease anything. It increases the respect of the person who answers and knowledge of the questioner
It doesn't help when you're asking the wrong questions. I may not be the best teacher, and I may not know much about your specific situation, however I do have the conviction of character to try to save you from making a decision based on invalid criteria, regardless of how you might feel about me or my advice.

Doug (this is my last post to you, since you've said you do not respect me, and I respect your right to disrespect/ignore me)

well oakstreetphotovideo i just lost mind when you said

need to get your head out of your ***

the only thing is that i want to get in the ground with all the thing ready as i have no option other than to won.We have a different life and we have to think of our whole Family's bread and butter.Specially when the case is of a middle class family of Pakistan where the conditions for honest and hard working people is just hell

i am again sorry for all that

Clive, thanks for taking the time to type all of that. You are a gentleman and a scholar. Now, I think you have a plane to catch!

Lucky for me it's just a three hour drive to the French Rivera from Milan... how cool is that? And thanks... same back at you.

Clive your suggestions are more precious then GOLD for me

Two things:

Firstly, to all the lurkers... you see this... this is how it's done. That's how to thank an indietalk guru! :yes:

Secondly, the funny thing about all this, is almost all of the stuff I've just advised you, I got from Doug. If you respect me, you've got to respect Doug, because I've got nothing but respect for him.

Now, I really must get back to packing.

Well i love and respect everyone who respects me as a learner and as a person having low level of knowledge......

and Clive i posted one message on which language should i use

please do reply to it

(replying because you asked me to)

You don't need to apologize to me for having feelings. When I make these posts, I don't expect people to not have feelings about them. I said what I thought needed to be said, based on the last 20 or 30 posts about "which camera should I purchase". If you were asking out of curiosity, I misspoke. I hesitate to apologize, because I believe what I said is true, regardless if I wasn't actually addressing your question. (The part about "head out of ***" as reactionary and probably inappropriate, but I am at least as human as you are.) Other people still need to read it and recognize that the camera choice is peripheral.

I was not going to stop posting on this board. I was just going to stop bothering you, specifically. That was out of respect for you, and your right to take and/or ignore whatever advice you receive. You should understand that I offer what I know (the reason I didn't read your other posts is because I had nothing to offer there), in the hopes that someone might find it useful. If it doesn't work for you, you are welcome to ignore me. If I make you angry, you are welcome to tell me that. It doesn't make me angry that you are angry, it just tells me that I should probably be more careful when trying to make points. I do listen, and I do adapt, but I'll never be perfect. After all, I'm an American! ;)

Doug

Secondly, the funny thing about all this, is almost all of the stuff I've just advised you, I got from Doug. If you respect me, you've got to respect Doug, because I've got nothing but respect for him.
Clive, you are too generous with your credit. You have way, way more experience with film making than I will ever have. I play a support role to film makers, and I tinker with anything I can get my hands on. However, if I had to produce a feature film, I wouldn't even know where to start.

Actually, it's sort of funny that I keep telling people they're focusing on the wrong thing, when they are focusing on the things I get paid for. If I were smart, I'd tell them it was the most important thing, then charge them a consulting fee! ;-) The fact is, I've worked with everything from old VHS cameras to Varicams and although the Varicam output is easier on the eyes, the movies I watch again and again aren't the ones that were shot on the best equipment. Finally, I know what can be enhanced and ruined through good/bad post workflow. A great editor can start with a mountain of crap and create something truly entertaining, whereas someone who doesn't understand the nuances of the medium can take pristine footage and melt it down into something unrecognizable.

Give me some DV NTSC (4:1:1) footage and I'll improve it's chroma resolution, adjust it's contrast and color quality, encode it with optimal encoder settings, put it on DVD and have you wondering if it was shot on film. Give me 4K film footage in 4:4:4 RGB and I probably wouldn't know what to do with it! ;)

Thanks, again, but you're really too kind. Have fun at Cannes.

Last edited:
Back