Which genre you will prefer?

Which Genre will you prefer if.....!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi Friends. I wanted to know incase if you have a small budget of some where $ 50,000 to $ 100,000 and you have to make a film. Which Genre will you prefer?

A low budget seems to work with best with Horror and/or comedy, but I could be absolutely wrong about that.

No you're right. It's a good mix. We usually do horror/comedy, but our last feature was action/comedy and it worked quite well.

Of course...the OP's idea of low budget is way above what I consider low budget. I do agree that it's still a true 'indie', but 100K is a BUTT load of money. I guess you would have to call our features 'micro' budget...

:)

We specifically try and keep out features below 20K--in fact our last action/comedy cost just under 8K, and it looks huge.

Good luck.

M1chae1 your point is valid when you said
We specifically try and keep out features below 20K--in fact our last action/comedy cost just under 8K, and it looks huge.
The reason to give this money range was that i dont know how much inflation is in US or any other country. As we all know this site has 1000s of members from many countries so the money range can be small or a huge one for any of them. For example in Pakistani Currency 100,000 US dollar is 80,00,000 PKR so it is a very big amount and we can easily make 2 big budget films in Pakistan with casting the most expensive actors of Pakistan but the same amount might be less for any one living in Europe or any other part of the world.

But any one here is allowed to select a genre with micro budget. I will love to see the facts.

By the way i personally will love to make a comedy.

Last edited:
Wow, OK. Ya, I apologize for not thinking about the massive exchange difference. If 100K USD can put together 2 big budget features in Pakistan...then our idea of micro, low, and big budget is very different.

So basically your question to us may have been worded differently. Because 100K USD in your terms would be like 10-20 million USD in our terms. Big difference. I couldn't even touch our big name actors unless I had over 10 million USD (at least I wouldn't try).

Of course, America has a big problem with what they consider 'independent' now'a days. Movies costing over a million are considered indie...and the real indie production companies know that's bullshit. I blame Robert Redford and Sundance...lol. If a movie costs over 1 million USD...it's not a 'true' indie film. True indie films in the US (in my eyes) are under 100k. The term 'low budget' would--to me--refer to anything under 50K. These are just my opinions. Basically, as long as a film is under 100K...I don't mind calling it independent...maybe even low budget. But then where does that leave 'micro budget'? Under 20K?

I didn't mean to hijack the topic. Sorry.

Last edited:
M1chae1
I didn't mean to hijack the topic. Sorry.

First of all you dont need to say that. We are here to share our views and knowledge.
Well yes there is a big currency difference. I believe and have plans after working on few projects i can try to raise 20 to 25k US dolalrs from here and there and i can make a great indie (or low/no budget) movie which will actually not be an indie (or low/no budget) movie because $ 25k means 20,00,000 Pakistani Rupees in which an HD movie can easily be made and edited with good actors. SO over all we have a great advantege in filmmaking if we can convince the Western countries to invest a small portion here :)

This may seem relevant to the topic, but I'm interested in what you do to raise the money for your low budget film. Like you said, around $50,000 - $100,000, but how do you make money like that? Is it fundraised?

And when you make the money, you spend it on the necessary materials to make the movie?

I would make an action film. I already do visual effects so that would be covered. I would use the rest of the budget to hire a good screen writer and a few good main actors. I wouldn't spend any money on high end cameras, but I do think it's important to have good actors and a story (this was on another Thread as well). special effects are great and that's my chosen specialty, but in the end if you don't have good acting and a good story, you have a film full of unneccssary explosions, gunplay, etc. In other words you have the next Steven Segal movie or Timothy Dalton as James Bond again.

Last edited:
Well i think the answer was asked by me.
The main question is how will i raise finance for my money.

Well simple. I need a marketing plan along with a great synopsis to convince the investers that their invesment is safe.

A part from a good movie (which we always need to sell) i will focus on Self Distribution + distribution. In Pakistan it is easy to hire cinemas (as there are no lot of movies coming in the market, infact nearly no films coming in the market will be a better statment) and i will attract the young generation by contacting Universities, Colleges, fast food shops. I think instead of making huge bill boards, Tv ADS the better way is to make great film Posters and place it in the above mentioned Venues. As i already have mentioned in one thread that demography of Pakistan shows majority of Pakistani population is based on youngsters. Apart from this there are more then 100 public listed companies in Pakistan Stock market. I can search out few which make products targeting youngsters, like Pepsi , Coccola etc.
There are many PVT LTD companies too like Mobile companies (and they are at the top these days in Pakistan for investing in advertising). SO even they can also contribute some funds for the sake of positive publicity. Example we can show the positive charachter always having Pepsi as he is in love with this drink (this is just an example).
Other then that there are 192 countries in the whole world with 1000s of satelite tv channels , cable Tv channels, DVDs, Direct Downloading from the Site.

Just need to have a good script + a perfect marketing plan with the help of probability and statistics to convince the investors.

Last edited:
So, you're saying you can just ask agencies/random companies for money, for your film? And collect money until you have $100,000? I'm still confused...

If so, why would they be so willing to help a group of people trying to shoot a film? I assume there are contracts involved...?

SquaretheJon Yes Contracts will be involved. More ever i will never be targeting $ 100,000 thats a very big amount. I have mentioned $ 20K is a big amount if converted to PKR.
And as SquaretheJon said
why would they be so willing to help a group of people trying to shoot a film?
I will suggest you to read the last message again where i said it will be a sort of advertising campain for them. If i have a good script, then few companies will be willing give money and in return there Brand will be some how used in the film. And we can give their names under the category of special thanks too at the end of the begining . and in Posters we can also mention media partners or sponsors.

Am i clear now?

Regards

I think a $100,000 is not enough for an action movie.

If you want your film to look like a Hollywood movie...then no, it's not. However, we just did our last feature (action/comedy) for under 8K, and it looks like a helluva lot more. We've got solid makeup, quality CG composite work, 56 locations and 45 speaking roles. It's all about what you use your money on. Keep in mind we were non-union as well...so most people did it for free, and most locations were free. We also shot on HD.

If you are going union, and you want things to look like True Lies...then 100K won't be enough.

you can make a decent action movie for 100,000k but only if you have alot of contacts and people willing to help you out for next to nothing or free. you could rent a hdcam for about 5,000k including post maybe im not sure, anyway these days with the internet you should easily be able to make a decent action movie as long as your not hiring brad pitt but then again the sucess of the movie should depend on the script to be honest

Ya, 100K can do it...just don't expect big name actors. But you can afford actors like Ken Foree (original Dawn of the Dead) and such.

Plus, why not rent the RED ONE and some adapters and lenses--which will up the production value big time.

And don't expect tanks or helicopters, unless your CG artist is super talented.

Zensteve :
That's called "product placement".

Exactly. I have read this term in marketing but i just forgot to use this word specifially here.

By the way i am surprised to see more votes for action movie. Even i think $ 100,000 is a big amount (in US senario). Though in Pakistan we cane asily make agreat movie in Pakistan. I hope you all know the currency difference.

M1chae1 can we have a link to the trailer of your above mentioned action film? and few more?

Regards

oh of course you mean $100,000, maybe with a £100,000 maybe but $100k is pushing although i wouldnt have cg helicopters if i had that kind of money, i would spend it on filming real stuff but motorbikes and cars rather then tanks

Back