• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Where's Your Adventure? - 1st year film school 90 second film

Hi guys,

I've been busy at film school and helping on tonnes of sets and we've finally finished our first film. It had to be a 90second film, which in this case meant it had to be under 90seconds. It was written in our script class and edited on AVID in our postproduction class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snJ3nX4lkgs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snJ3nX4lkgs

For the aussies, I'm at Swinburne in Melbourne, Victoria.

It was shot on my 600D with the 50mm f1.8 and 55-250mm with a Steadicam Merlin
Sound was a Zoom h4n and Rode NTG2.

Actors I got off starnow, an australian/uk casting website.

Interested in your thoughts on all areas, mostly in cinematography, and not really at all in the writing..

Cheers,
Brendan

I don't know the technical term for it... but there was a huge white vertical line at about second 15-16...

Good bit of solar flares during the start of the hike that I couldn't tell if you meant to get... but they were a bit clustered and inconsistent... but those of course are opinionated.

I like the angles ^_^

Looked great! I enjoyed the quality of the footage and it looks like the color grading was done very nicely. I could have used more close up type shots but that's just my style of shooting. good job.

I don't know the technical term for it... but there was a huge white vertical line at about second 15-16...

Good bit of solar flares during the start of the hike that I couldn't tell if you meant to get... but they were a bit clustered and inconsistent... but those of course are opinionated.

I like the angles ^_^

Hey thanks, that vertical white line I'm fairly confident that that was the reflection from a car.

Yeah it wasn't exactly intentional but I worked with what I had.

Really well shot. I liked the guy at the beginning, good actor :)

Not entirely sure what else to say really, very well shot but that was about all it did for me, maybe that's all it was supposed to do.

0:35 to 0:41 could have used some composition help, though I reckon that's more on the editing side. Still, they work with what they get. Weird jump-cuts.

1:03 to 1:08 is also an odd composition. Spinning around to appreciate the beauty of nature, by admiring the landscape of high-tension powerlines filling in the background? Just looks weird, though I appreciate the need to keep the background interesting.

Everything else looks great :)

Hey thanks Steve,

0:35-0:41 wasn't originally meant to be like that; it was meant to be a smooth dolly in but we didn't have a dolly and I wasn't happy with the steadicam that I had done + time was limited, hence the jumpcuts. If I had my time again and I wasn't limited to 90seconds then it would have been much cleaner, but then again that's what you say for everything.

1:03-1:08 is annoying because it's one of my favourite camera moves along with actor movements but it just happens there is crappy man made stuff in the background. It wasn't there by design fyi.

Well done! Each one seems to be getting better and better. There were some nice shots, and I liked the overall mood of the film. It was well made and easy on the eyes. Although I felt like some of the interior shots were a bit bland, grey, and washed out. I assume that was a creative decision to reinforce the idea of it being a bit of a boring workspace, to then make the nature scenes seem more vibrant and lively? Although I felt like perhaps a bit more brightness in those scenes might make them look better. I also felt like some more landscape shots might reinforce the sense of how epic and beautiful nature is. Some wider shots might have been better for the outside scenes. But not bad! There was some nice framing, good grading, interesting shots, smooth movement, and overall, it was well done.

I felt like the pacing was off. The first half is fine, but the transition to the hiking scene feels abrupt, and rushed. Given the time constraint I would cut down on the hiking and fill out the transition - build the character and his conflict, then resolve it with the hiking. As it stands now I don't get much sense of the character struggling with the lack of adventure in his life at all.

Hey Thanks Chimp, it was as you said a creative decision, I filmed with a colder white balance and then desaturated it slightly in post.

Cheers itdonnedonme, I'm not a fan of the transition myself either. Originally the shot/scene of him sitting at the desk was longer and I was going to have some form of voiceover going, but I hated the footage for that section and had to cut it into snippets which eventually turned out how it is.

Back