Where'd you get your username?

I saw this thread in a completely unrelated to film forum *cough*animesite*cough*.... and thought it would be fun?

So anyways, all we do is explain where we got our usernames from or the influences to them. Get it? Simple.

Considering what this forum is though, how about we go a step further? Explain your production name as well!

-------------------------------------

So for me... SkyCopeland is obviously my name, but for some reason this is the only forum I've ever used my name instead of my normal screenname.

Normally I go by SkyTech, most of the time with a 6 at the end. Before I even owned a laptop my mom's roommate let me user her old slow desktop (I was like 10 or something). The reason for letting me use it was I wanted to play the FusionFall online game that Cartoon Network always advertised.

Now before the internet I thought my name "Sky" was original as hell... turns out the name was taken haha... the game then suggested names to me and the top one on the list was SkyTech6. For some reason I was drawn to the name and I've used it for every website, game, etc since...

Senior year of high school I registered SkyTech Productions as a Mississippi video media business. So my normal screenname and production name are from FusionFall's recommended names. My cousin jokes to me often how I turned my MMO persona into my profession label.

Your turn!

It's just a nickname my friends gave me for a game of darts one drunken night. I had just installed locks, my sister had just bleached her hair. So she was goldilocks and I was dreadylocks. It just kind of stuck.

"It Donned On Me" originally started in 2007 when a group of my former students were interested in doing the 48 Hour Film Project. One of them signed us up and had to provide a team name, so he came up with it. It was kind of just a throwaway - we didn't really think about a name at the time since we didn't plan to do it more than once. 30 films later it's stuck...

The proper grammar for the phrase is "It dawned on me", and "donned" is a really common grammar mistake - but in this case it wasn't a mistake. 'Donn' is my last name; it's a play on that and it could have been worse - the other choice the guy came up with was "The Crack Of Donn".

Last name is Loughrey. So, yeah.

But when I self-release music, I use the name "gnarphlager records" gnarphlager was the first pronounceable string out of a burst of random typing in college as I was killing time. When I was younger I had a sort of "confrontational surrealist" vibe, so whenever I was asked what it meant, I would ask what the person thought it meant. My eventual answer was something along the lines of "I don't know, but I'll know it when I hear it". I'm a lot less obnoxious these days, but I keep it around to remind myself of where I came from.

Similarly, my home studio is, has always been, and shall ever be known as "asocial studios" The reasons for that are pretty apparent, in that I almost never have anyone else there.

Well, I attached the first letter of my last name (Brokx) to my name.
And when you attach Media to my last name, you have my company name :)

We're actually all remarkably boring.

Nick = my name.
Clapper = my website's name (without the 'The' and the 'Bored').

I gave myself the name as a joke in 2004. I had just graduated and knew I was going to pursue film. I had just learned about Robert Rodriguez and El Mariachi, which means The Guitar player So as an homage, I came up with El Director :) The name has become a true nickname now in that when I started parkour back in 2007, we used our online names in person, so everyone called me El. And now I'm known as El Director not just on forums and real life, but on my moderately successful youtube channel too :)

White Opus came from my interest in mental alchemy. Of the four stages of the Magnum Opus (the process of creating the philosopher's stone), I found that Albedo (meaning "whiteness" in latin) was the most relevant to my aspirations with film and media in general. Albedo is the stage in which purification occurs by dividing a subject into two opposing principles, allowing that subject to regain its original purity. Essentially, I aim to make films that portray the polarity of all aspects of all things. Light needs dark, good needs bad, 1 needs 0.

So, White for albedo and Opus as a reference to alchemy. The symbol I use for the logo is the alchemical symbol for silver. It's a little ambiguous, but I like it that way.

It's the pseudonym my co-writer and I chose for our novels. He claimed it "just sounded right". It hasn't made us millionaires yet.

My parent's initials. I use it for most of my online accounts... I have no idea why or when it started.

Rick, my real life nickname, was taken. So I tried richy. I wanted to keep it real as well as simple, so I didn't try to get creative or goofy with it. Perhaps I should have. I rather regret it now, since I don't really care for either "Rich" or "Richy" as nicknames. Oh well. C'est a la vie.

I don't have a production name.

I just spent at least half an hour typing a detailed response, life history and all. But then I remembered the real reason -- it's personal.

Back