tv Where are low-budget TV shows shown?

This article talks of how Byron Allen has become the Wal-Mart of TV, by endlessly churning out shows. I may be interested in the low-end, which would, of course focus on low-budget sci-fi with good stories. That was, of course, how Star Trek got started. The article also quotes an industry insider as saying that many places need content.

Can someone tell me which places need content?

All places need content.

Or are you asking, which places are looking for new fresh content, or are you looking at copying Byron's method?

All places need content.

Or are you asking, which places are looking for new fresh content, or are you looking at copying Byron's method?

Good questions, Sweetie.

I'm not looking to copying his method. But the article seems to say cable TV, if not other places, need cheap content but can't find it. Again, I may be reading too much into it, but that's my impression. Where would I go to find out?

Good questions, Sweetie.

I'm not looking to copying his method. But the article seems to say cable TV, if not other places, need cheap content but can't find it. Again, I may be reading too much into it, but that's my impression. Where would I go to find out?

PBS? IFC? Not exactly sure.

The reason why there are so many reality TV shows on TV is because they are cheaper to produce because there are no big actor wages to pay. Cable TV is buying ten episode series over twelve and thirteen from production companies to save money these days too.

seems to say cable TV, if not other places, need cheap content but can't find it.

I'd suggest to simply stop and think about it for a moment. The answer will come to you. It's a cost/benefit comparison. On one hand, there's a cost for a TV/cable show. On the other hand, there's the benefit, the viewers

The TV stations/cable providers are simple looking for what will give them the most benefit for the best price. It's not quite as simple as that as there are loss leaders and so on, but the basics is there.

While this doesn't help answer your question, it may stop you going on a red herring for no reason.

because they are cheaper

and quicker.

Do you have cable or satellite? Go through the stations slowly, one at a time. You'll soon find the new/small-market/struggling/etc. networks. On Verizon I've identified quite a few.

The problem these networks have with content is finding quality products that match their (current) demographic. And let's face it, most of the new/small-market/struggling/etc. networks want very "vanilla," "generic" programming; comedies, cop shows, family shows, reality shows and the like. Also remember that there are more than 50 years of "retro" TV shows that are syndicated really cheap, and reality shows & talk shows are comparatively inexpensive to produce, so there's lots of competition.

Sci-Fi, horror/zombies and teen angst - which most indie filmmakers seem to be making these days - has no attraction for these networks.

What you really need to do is identify the networks that are looking for content and make a show that they would want. Not anywhere near as easy as writing and producing a project that satisfies you. I know; 20 or so years ago I worked with a company that created broadcast music (music packages for news shows, station IDs, etc.) Discovery was a client when that network was just emerging, and we did work for Disney, CNN and a bunch of others when cable was emerging in a big way. Some were cattle calls (Disney had one for their "Aladdin" series; I even had a submission), and quite a few local and regional news shows used one of our news packages. We did a package for Meridian TV UK that was written by yours truly.

I also work with plenty of indie filmmakers and musicians. My own personal likes and dislikes have nothing to do with making the client ( and their audiences) happy.

Can you make a "spiritual" show? There are a number of Christian networks looking for content.

Back