When to give actors a copy of the film?

Hi,

we just finished a private screening of our feature film for cast and crew which went well. Now actors are requesting a copy of the DVD for themselves. Not sure if we should give them a copy before an official release or not. What's the norm in this case. Thanks for your help.

Regards

Dr Stilly

Last edited:
I see no reason why not.

Still make sure to have some signed deal that prevents them from using the movie for anything else than their own entertainment and/or their actor reel.

No copies until after you've signed a distribution deal OR you make it available for sale. Until then, the only copies floating around out there should be screener copies and clearly labelled as such.

You want complete and full control of your film and who sees it until you have that deal.

Kind of opposite opinions there, both express my sentiments hence my indecision, although I probably lean more toward your opinion GuerrillaAngel.

I have actors asking me for footage for their show-reel, others asking me for two copies so they can share with industry professionals and others just want to show their families. It must be frustrating for them and I do want them to enjoy the fruits of their labor but I also feel like we could lose some control of our movie at such an early stage.

Would like to hear other views on this. Thanks.

Last edited:
well if theres a trailer for the film and they are in it they can use that for now as reference, or maybe you could upload a private link with a password and let them see it for a certain day only then change the password and set dates on which you will allow for private viewing.

well if theres a trailer for the film and they are in it they can use that for now as reference, or maybe you could upload a private link with a password and let them see it for a certain day only then change the password and set dates on which you will allow for private viewing.

That's a really good idea. I'll look into that.

It depends. Did you pay your actors? If so, you aren't obligated to give them copies until you secure distribution. If you did not pay them, you would be a real jerk to refuse.

I was not able to pay the actors in my last feature, so I handed out DVDs at the premiere. They want to see the film obtain distribution as much as I do, so I trusted them not to do anything that might sabotage its chances.

In any case, definitely provide clips for their reels, if requested. There is no good reason not to.

It depends. Did you pay your actors? If so, you aren't obligated to give them copies until you secure distribution. If you did not pay them, you would be a real jerk to refuse.

I was not able to pay the actors in my last feature, so I handed out DVDs at the premiere. They want to see the film obtain distribution as much as I do, so I trusted them not to do anything that might sabotage its chances.

In any case, definitely provide clips for their reels, if requested. There is no good reason not to.

You handed DVD's at the premiere which seems fine to me but we haven't premiered yet is the thing. It was only a private screener. I think I'll go with 8salacious9's idea - everyone is a winner. Thanks.

If you give actors a copy of your film you'll very quickly find that everyone they know will have a copy as well. In my experience actors copy them and distribute them really fast. Tell the actors that if they want you'd be happy to give them a scene or two for showreel purposes but otherwise keep the film firmly under wraps.

Very true Dom D, I can see that happening. Not only that but the actors will watch it themselves like a gazillion times, then by the time the premiere rolls around they'll be totally bored with the film! The one thing I don't want is unenthusiastic stars at the festivals.

If it's a feature and you are looking for distribution give the supporting actors just the scenes they were in.

If there is a serious chance of distribution - and don't BS yourself - the lead actors will understand if they don't get a copy of the entire film, as they have a vested interest as well. You could give them a couple of the best scenes for their reel.

The DP and post team (editors, special effects, sound, composer) is a tougher call. Perhaps a written agreement of confidentiality, including a specific list of which scene(s) each can use for their reels.

The whole idea is to make everyone happy, yet keep the entire film out of unwanted public release.

BTW, you may want to think about leaving in the time code burn for the copies that are floating around, and/or a "For Evaluation Only" card plus the usual copyright warnings, FBI piracy notice and other disclaimers at the beginning of the film. You may want to put in the "For Evaluation Only" flash a few times during the film like the Oscar screener copies. (Off topic - the Oscar screeners are always a bit disconcerting; you put it in your DVD player and it just starts - no menu, set-up options, extras, etc., it just gets plays.)

I have offered requested clips for show-reels, in fact I have already sent an actor two of his scenes, I really have no problems with that. Just to send a full DVD out before the film has even premiered - I mean there may even be changes - I'm more and more convinced they should wait.

However, a TV actor who we have in the film tells us he wants to get a copy to a TV exec. We said forward him to us, or set a meeting up for all of us, to which he had an issue with. Not sure what to do as he has more experience in the industry than us.

Last edited:
BTW, you may want to think about leaving in the time code burn for the copies that are floating around, and/or a "For Evaluation Only" card plus the usual copyright warnings, FBI piracy notice and other disclaimers at the beginning of the film. You may want to put in the "For Evaluation Only" flash a few times during the film like the Oscar screener copies. (Off topic - the Oscar screeners are always a bit disconcerting; you put it in your DVD player and it just starts - no menu, set-up options, extras, etc., it just gets plays.)

You were in the Oscars jury or what ? :D

My wife and I are very friendly with a woman who is a fairly active SAG actor; she's the one on the list. We get together at her place and screen a bunch of films when voting time comes around.

I always wish I could get to L.A. for the audio post bake-off; many of the top echelon of the audio post crowd get together at a (perfectly audio calibrated) theatre and screen the Sound Editing and Sound Mixing nominees, followed by LOTS of networking.

Back