What's the best shooting lens for Canon t2i?

Hi,

I'm looking to get a lens better than the default t2i lens, and was hoping for some input here about which one would be the most valuable. I want to use the t2i, despite if you say it's not a good camera for the job, and want to know what lens would best suit these theatrics?

That's a pretty broad question. What are you shooting?

Are you working on narratives in a controlled shooting environment, with a more cinematic style where prime lenses would be a better choice?

Are you working on documentaries or event video that's faster-paced where a zoom lens makes more sense?

And if you're in a place where a zoom makes more sense, what are your particulars? How wide do you generally need to go? How long do you generally need to go? There are lots of zooms, but depending on your practical shooting range you may need a couple of zooms to cover a wider range of focal lengths.

Also, what's your budget? You could certainly go for Canon L lenses, but if you're on a tighter budget there are some mighty fine lenses out there that cost a bit less.

I'm working on getting old cheap MC and MD mount lenses + an adapter for each at the local pawn shops. This will allow me to get prime (non-zoom) lenses at the lengths I want (18, 28, 50, 85, 135, 200, 250). I should be able to pick up the whole series this way for ~$25/lens with lens and adapter... and I already own the 50mm :)

Back