What's that sound?

Hey guys, here with some questions and suggestions. I've found my camera, now I'm looking for the equally important sound set up. The film I will be making will be fairly dialog heavy in parts, so definitely quality for the money. Money is definitely a factor, buy we will be doing the shots with the sound in mind, going with the strengths of our equipment and covering our weaknesses. Enough rambling, here's some details.

Looking at the Rode NTG-2 for a shotgun mic. The site I'm looking at buying it from has two packages and I'm not sure what the differences are between the two and which one would benefit me most. Any help would be appreciated. Link

For the cardioid mic I have no idea what kind I need to be looking at. Any suggestions? Price is an option, but I don't want crap either.

Cables, what kinds? Any better suited than another?

Do I need a mixer? I'm not planning on using my camera to capture the sound, I was thinking about going from mic to a flash recorder. Can I run a mic directly to the recorder, or do I need to go through a mixer first?

I'm good on a boom pole and I'm good on headphones though, so that helps the wallet somewhat.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

If the Schoeps CMC641 and the Sennheiser MKH-50 are beyond your means (about $1,500) the Oktava MK-012 with the hyper capsule is a decent choice for a cardioid (about $350). Make sure that it's the real Russian version and not the Chinese knock-offs (MC-012).

Mogami and ProCo cables will get the job done. (I use ProCo myself.)

For the rest we need an idea of your budget before we can make recommendations.

Thanks for the help Alcove!

Well, total budget for audio is somewhere around $600-$1000. Realistically it is going to be closer to $600, but for decent hardware I'm willing to beg and borrow.

Back