What to look out for

There are so many people on this site who know so much about filmmaking and just as many new people as well. I am looking for some insight from the veterans.

At this point, many of us don't have the problems that people in the industry have. Those of you who are in the industry, well you had to have started out where we are. Can you give us some "if I knew then what I know now" advice? As indie filmmakers just beginning to get out there, what should we look out for? What should we protect ourselves from?

Having an agent is way down the line for many of us, as is being able to purchase the RED camera or being able to hire a DP. So before we make it to that level, what can you Masters ;) bestow upon your willing but clueless grasshoppers?:huh:

I personally am trying to become as informed as I possibly can considering my low funds, limited equipment, lack of connections and lack of geographical luck. But I am aware that if you want to do this "filmmaking thing", you have to be willing to go alittle hungry. And I personally do not want to be the one to let excuses stop me from doing what I have to do.

They say luck is being in the right place at the right time and being armed to the teeth in preparedness.

So at the beginning of the year 2008, what is the best advice you can give us aspiring indies?

-- spinner :cool:

I'm no master, but I have experience working as a P.A. on a commercial and talking to the director, best boy ect. I also read alot. A few things you need to consider, dont have the mentality, "I have to starve first to make it!" that is not true. And a true man makes his own luck, dont expect things to all fall into place, you need to go after it.

Can you help us understand what you intend on achieving in the long run? Where do you want to see yourself when you accomplish your goals?

If it's to make it into Hollywood, I advice internships on commercials, music videos, films, ect. w/e you can do to "network", which is very important. Making more friends means getting more job opportunities.

If it is to be a succesful indy film maker like the Coen Brothers, I am not so much familiar with that category. I would imagine; create the most unique indy film and submit to the festivals. Critics and jurors see thousands of films, they want to see something new and vibrant. Even Spielberg goes around hiring indy film makers who have potential with their unique indys.

Good topic. I'd like to see the same responses.

Yes, 2008 is the year that I make something happen. Even if it's selling a DVD to grandma, I will make money off this endeavor this year. I'm going back to focusing on the writing for awhile, then I'll pick up the camera again.

Hey Spinner,

No I am not a veteran with any "industry advice" but I do have a question for you...you say that you are "demographically challenged" have you gone to any film festivals and if so how were they? I am new to the movie biz and I feel that I have a lot in common with you because I like to be well-prepared as well.

Your truly,

Triple Threat

...well, the question was to obtain some wisdom from those who have been in the position of being where we are as we attempt to work our way up. I think that I, like many on this site, are at a place where we have to decide to go all in with the filmmaking thing or decide to do something conventional. Conventional is safer, but it doesn't always mean you will be happy doing it.

For example, I personally have decided not to let the fact that I do not readily have access "filmmaking hubs" get in the way of what I want to do. I have a car and a camera. I don't have alot of money or alot of help to do what I want to do. But I am unwilling to decide that I can't do anything. So I am working on making a market for myself for right now in more mundane places as I figure out how to make a name for myself in the kind documentary films that I would like to make.

In the process, I have learned that I have to look at the big picture and not dwell on the things I don't have or that I don't know yet. So I don't have a person to run a second camera. I do have a smaller camera and a tripod that I can put somewhere I am not.

So I don't have alot of money. I do believe that I am laying the foundation to be in a position to make some. And normally, when I 'work', I enjoy it enough to forget how broke I am...well, at least temporarily. When I quit my job I had alittle money saved up. It didn't go as far as I would have liked :rolleyes: but I don't regret quitting. This is what I mean. I think I am at a point where I could go either way and I am choosing to pursue the film thing. And when things are difficult, I try to look at the big picture.

I guess I am looking at things in a very philosophical manner right now which is appropriate considering we have just entered the new year....

Sounds like a plan

Hey Spinner,

Let me be the first to congratulate you on stepping out there and doing what most people would not. You have decided to give this your WHOLE-HEART effort, for that, I admire. Now, may I ask you a question, you say that you have a car and a camera, I see that you are in Michigan, are you just looking to work in Michigan or are you willing to venture out so-to-speak? I ask for a reason because I like your attitude and I believe that we need someone who has the same mind-frame and passion as we do in order to win this! With me, I DON'T have a choice, its either make films or die! Yeah sounds kind of far out but what the heck, I have ALWAYS been the far out type. Everyone has always told me that I don't act nor think like most people...well I don't believe in living like most people so I don't do what most people do.

Now, I know that you can do things on your own, but (I think one of the reasons for joining this site) I think I speak for everyone when I say that it is better if you have someone(s) else there willing to help ease your journey. I have a motto "without teamwork, the dream WOULD not work" so I am just looking for those "team" players.

As always,

Triple Threat

Hi spinner, I wouldn't presume to be a veteran or an expert, but I am a working professional in the movie industry in LA and I have sold a feature film to domestic and international DVD distribution (US release in April of 2008).

Unfortunately, the closest I've come to documentary filmmaking is producing a reality show pilot. And let's just say the standards of integrity aren't quite the same. :) But I do think it's important to be passionate about the subject you're covering. And I find it's helpful to approach it like you would a narrative film. You're telling a story. Weave a narrative. Watch every Michael Moore film (particularly Bowling for Columbine) and look at how he does it.

Most of the time, I would advise filmmakers to move to LA. But for what you want to do, I think you're better off where you are, or where your subject is. You don't need money, but you do need time. And time, it seems, is what you have. So make the most of it.

Well I've said this before but it bears repeating...

Where Indies have the ability to play on a level playing ground is at the script level. Let's face it... Most Indie scripts lack enough real story to get us through 90 minutes of sitting in front of the television... I'm specifically talking about low and no budget Indies here. The larger Indies already know that it starts with a GREAT script. No, not mediocre... No, not passable. But GREAT!

I would quit worrying about the cameras and take a year to learn how to write a compelling story if you're trying to make a feature.

I cannot tell you how many Indies I've seen who have definitely got the technical side to filmmaking down well enough to keep ME in the seat. However, after the movie starts is when I start to twist and turn in my seat because it's just plain hard to watch when there's no real story.

And remember... I want there to be a story. I want to stay in my seat! In fact, I'm already giving that Indie film MY ALL so if I really can't watch it -- what does that tell you? I give small low and no budget Indie films much more leeway than the bigger budgeted Hollywood films.

For some reason, too many Indies think it's all about the technical aspect of filmmaking and to a degree -- it certainly is -- but you've got to start with a great story.

And, if you're actually looking to break into the business or at a minimum, make a living doing this, then you have to come up with better stories than Hollywood is coming up with. And to be honest... I think I've seen a few low and no budget Indies that obviously did start out with a great story but somewhere down the line, couldn't quite pull it off when it came to the screenplay, direction, and actors. In other words, I could see the potential because the overall story was very decent but it was not realized in the script, direction, and acting.

Assuming you have the technical side down -- My humble advice would be to take the extra time to make sure that script is the very best it can be. Learn structure. Learn visual storytelling. Take your Protagonist through a character arc.

Learn to write.

filmy

Last edited by a moderator:
:) But I do think it's important to be passionate about the subject you're covering. And I find it's helpful to approach it like you would a narrative film. You're telling a story. Weave a narrative.....

Most of the time, I would advise filmmakers to move to LA. But for what you want to do, I think you're better off where you are, or where your subject is. You don't need money, but you do need time. And time, it seems, is what you have. So make the most of it.

I think anyone making a living at this stuff, you are a veteran. You're at least in the 100% club :D

Oh, I don't have any "move to California" aspirations as yet. What actually seems cool to me is that you can do independent film from almost anywhere. If you are lucky, you'll find like minded people.

What I am doing right now is laying a foundation of good work doing my docs. I still have the big one that I want to get done, but lets face it, nobody is going to pay my bills for me, so yeah, I do still need money. Especially if your subject is out of state.

I edit ALL of my docs as stories. Every doc tells someones story. I think I compose good shots and I love my subjects. I will say this: you need at least one other person when you are doing a big doc that isn't in your own state. See, I am learning :lol: I even had a possible opportunity walk up to me on New Year's Eve.

...see, people haven't figured out that they need me yet, but they will. Oh, yes, they will......
(rubs hands together in my most evil genius fashion, laughs evilly...)

I am glad to hear you reiterate that, because that is one of my main strategies. As I have said in other posts, I decided to work with a mentor screenplay consultant to get me through my first feature screenplay (a supernatural thriller). And even after I complete my process with her, I am going to tweak/ revise my script even more, then take it to another level (hopefully) by working with a top screenplay consultant (I am leaning towards John Rainey) to again help me raise the script quality to hopefully that of great. Of course all the consultants in the world will not make a lousy story great, but hopefully I have the story part right and the mentor consultants can help me improve it at each phase (actually that is already happening, I am pleased at how it is going thus far). But I truly am hopeful that having a great screenplay is a huge part, then cast great actors, find a good DP, locations, composer, etc.

Where Indies have the ability to play on a level playing ground is at the script level. Let's face it... Most Indie scripts lack enough real story to get us through 90 minutes of sitting in front of the television... I'm specifically talking about low and no budget Indies here. The larger Indies already know that it starts with a GREAT script. No, not mediocre... No, not passable. But GREAT!...

Back