What next?

Hey guys, so me and a friend have been working on a few scripts for a while now and we recently finished them and started looking into filming, though I think we're jumping in too quickly.

We have got the screen play and actors already, we have also got 2 cameras we thought we'd use (Both Cannon 600Ds).

We don't have a professional mic yet but my friend has a Blue Yetti he wants to use. (Not too sure on how good it'd be on a boom pole though).

Basically I have no idea what to do next. I'm here because we keep arranging times to meet up and film, we've filmed a few times, and to be honest, we're shit. (excuse my language) The idea however is great. We're just un-organised and well...noobs.

You see, I'm a training software developer and he's an actor so we are not the best at filming. However Writing and directing has always been a dream of mine, which is why I want to push through this and make this film.

So if you've read this far and you have any tips on what we should do next, what we have missed out, any essential parts of film making that we don't know about, if you could fill us in on what we have to do next to further our project it would be a great help and I'd be eternally grateful.

Additional details:

- This is a home project, we don't have to do this we are doing it simply because we want to.
- We don't have a film crew or anything, it's just us. (would a film crew be a good idea?) not quite sure where I'd find one but if you guys know any film crews in the UK that'll work for free the please let me know. ;)
- We are both 18 & male (not that it's relevant, but it's additional info you may perhaps need?? i dunno haha)
- We don't drive
- Currently don't have a budget, would it be a good idea to get some money behind the project first? and what for?

If there is like certain steps we have to take, for example,
-Get idea
-Write draft
-Write script
-Cast actors
etc etc

Could somebody list the things that we have to do?

I am sorry about my noob-iness, but I really feel I entered the wrong profession at college which would have helped, haha. I'm just trying to correct that now. So again, any help would be greatly appreciated.
:)

You have to jump in sometime. Why is now too quickly? You'll only get better.
Jump in now.

We don't have a professional mic yet but my friend has a Blue Yetti he wants to use. (Not too sure on how good it'd be on a boom pole though).
So you jump in and try it. If it's not too good on a boom pole you will have learned
something.

I'm here because we keep arranging times to meet up and film, we've filmed a few times, and to be honest, we're shit.
So you film a few more times. You will learn and get better. I know of no other
way than to get out there and film.

So if you've read this far and you have any tips on what we should do next, what we have missed out, any essential parts of film making that we don't know about,
There are hundreds of essential parts of filmmaking that you don't know about.
You will learn as you make movies.
This is a home project, we don't have to do this we are doing it simply because we want to.
My advice is to get out there and make movies.
We don't have a film crew or anything, it's just us. (would a film crew be a good idea?) not quite sure where I'd find one but if you guys know any film crews in the UK that'll work for free the please let me know. ;)
Then make a few movies with just the two of you.
- We are both 18 & male (not that it's relevant, but it's additional info you may perhaps need?? i dunno haha)
We don't drive
Not relevant.
- Currently don't have a budget, would it be a good idea to get some money behind the project first? and what for?
For your first couple of years you will have to pay for everything. No stranger is going to give you money.
Friends and family might.

Come up with ideas that just the two of you can do. That's not so easy, is it?
Do you have that creativity in you?

Hey thanks for the quick reply. :)

So you jump in and try it. If it's not too good on a boom pole you will have learned
something.

The reason I asked about the mic was because I was wondering if maybe anybody knew of a "cheap" (approx. £100/160$) mic that was actually meant to be used on a boom pole & a recorder (not sure what the actual name for this is) for it? Sorry I should have asked that above.

Come up with ideas that just the two of you can do. That's not so easy, is it?
Do you have that creativity in you?

We already have a few comedy shorts that we are planning at the moment so yeah hopefully, haha.

I guess I just didn't want to see us ruin our films haha.
But thank you! It's boosted my confidence a bit. I guess jumping in straight away would give us a better experience to learn from rather than pussy footing around it.

Again, thank you so much!

The reason I asked about the mic was because I was wondering if maybe anybody knew of a "cheap" (approx. £100/160$) mic that was actually meant to be used on a boom pole & a recorder (not sure what the actual name for this is) for it? Sorry I should have asked that above.
It does help us answer the question you have when you ask the
question you have.

The actual name is a "shotgun" mic. Yes, there are some cheap
ones out there. A good mic will last longer than your camera will.
Might not be the place to skimp.

I guess I just didn't want to see us ruin our films haha.
I doubt you are going to fully satisfied with your first films. Perhaps
if you think of your first films as learning experiences you won't see
a few terrible movies as "ruined". Plan to make five in the next five
months so by September of 2014 you can make your first "real" movie.

I used to make two or three a month when I was starting out. We
(my two friends and I) shot something every weekend. This was
before we were 18 (started age 14) and before we could drive so
I can relate to your situation.

there are a fair number of people on this board, including myself, who are software developers. so please don't use that as an excuse.. there are also plenty of actors that have produced and directed great films.

The sooner you let go of your excuses the sooner you can start tackling the real issues holding you back

Start small, with a small script. My last short I filmed was only 2 pages with 3 characters, but it was a killer story. since you don't drive, pick a good location you have access to. my last two shorts were both filmed at my parents house .. they have a nice pool and a really nice foyer.

personally I did two years of research, reading books, watching historically significant movies, director commentaries, etc before I even tried to attempt my first film. But everyone has a different approach, some people say just go out there and do it. Do whatever path you feel is right for you.

Back