What macro lens will give me the closest shot?

I need a lens that will allow me to zoom in as close as possible. I want to be able to film the detail on the smallest objects. What macro lens will give me the closest shots for shooting film?

I am leaning towards getting a Canon 5d mark ii or iii, but am open to Nikon DSLRs too (I am in desperate need of upgrading from my Nikon D90 so I can get full HD).

Thanks.

The longer the focal length the closer the shot given the same distance from object. Basically, a 200mm macro lens will give you a tighter shot than a 100mm lens if the camera is in the same position for both shots. The specification that you need to consider is the minimum focal distance, the closest you can get to an object and still have that object in focus. Remember, you can always move the camera closer to the subject as long as you don't get closer than the minimum focal distance.

The Canon MP-E 65mm will give you a magnification ratio of 5:1 - that is, objects will appear 5x larger on the sensor than they are in real life (a bug 5mm in length will be projected onto the sensor as 25mm in length). This is the highest magnification of any Canon macro lens, but it may not be the most practical - you cannot use it like a normal lens as it won't focus to infinity and its short focal length demands a close working distance.

If you answer these questions I might be able to give you a more helpful answer… What kind of objects do you want to shoot and from how far away? Do you want to stick with Nikon or move to Canon? What's your budget?

Hi guys, my apologies for going off topic a bit but this seems like the best place to ask this question - what about close up filters as a substitute for an actual macro lens? I plan on using them for extreme close up shots using an 85mm lens. Thanks.

The Canon MP-E 65mm will give you a magnification ratio of 5:1 - that is, objects will appear 5x larger on the sensor than they are in real life (a bug 5mm in length will be projected onto the sensor as 25mm in length). This is the highest magnification of any Canon macro lens, but it may not be the most practical - you cannot use it like a normal lens as it won't focus to infinity and its short focal length demands a close working distance.

If you answer these questions I might be able to give you a more helpful answer… What kind of objects do you want to shoot and from how far away? Do you want to stick with Nikon or move to Canon? What's your budget?

I do a lot of abstract and experimental cinematography. I'd like to zoom in real close to an object to the point where it is not recognizable and becomes pure texture. Here is a good example of what I'd like to accomplish:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnidhRMARIw

Having said that, I also shoot "regular" scenes. For example, for my next project there are a lot of scenes of someone typing on a computer, so I'd also like to be able to get some nice intimate shots of their fingers pressing the keys and shots of the letters appearing on the screen that take up the entire frame. There will also be shots of the subject from waste up and ankles up, which I am worried might not work with a macro.

You mentioned that it cannot be used like a normal lens. Does that mean that it wouldn't work for things like interviews, or a scene where someone is walking down a street and the entire subject appears in the frame. How far can this lens zoom out? Are there any macro lens that can used for "normal" shots as well? (Perhaps this is just wishful thinking on my end)

Would I be better off having two lens, one for extreme macro shots for my experimental work, and another for regular scenes? I came across some devices that attach to a regular lens to make it shoot macro, but I also read that there may be a loss in quality as opposed to using an actual macro lens.

Thanks for your help.

I do a lot of abstract and experimental cinematography. I'd like to zoom in real close to an object to the point where it is not recognizable and becomes pure texture. Here is a good example of what I'd like to accomplish:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnidhRMARIw

Having said that, I also shoot "regular" scenes. For example, for my next project there are a lot of scenes of someone typing on a computer, so I'd also like to be able to get some nice intimate shots of their fingers pressing the keys and shots of the letters appearing on the screen that take up the entire frame. There will also be shots of the subject from waste up and ankles up, which I am worried might not work with a macro.

You mentioned that it cannot be used like a normal lens. Does that mean that it wouldn't work for things like interviews, or a scene where someone is walking down a street and the entire subject appears in the frame. How far can this lens zoom out? Are there any macro lens that can used for "normal" shots as well? (Perhaps this is just wishful thinking on my end)

Would I be better off having two lens, one for extreme macro shots for my experimental work, and another for regular scenes? I came across some devices that attach to a regular lens to make it shoot macro, but I also read that there may be a loss in quality as opposed to using an actual macro lens.

Thanks for your help.

The 65mm will definitely get you your "pure texture" shots, but it won't be any use as a regular lens. The working distance (from the tip of the lens to the subject) is anything from 100mm to 41mm - it won't focus outside of this range, so forget trying to take a full-length body shot unless it's of an insect.

There are macro lenses that can be used for normal shots too and there are several from Canon to choose between. However, I don't think I could have a macro lens as my only lens - they tend to be quite long focal lengths and getting wide shots would be difficult, especially indoors.

You can get adapters that allow "normal" lenses to focus much closer. Macro extension tubes simply move your lens further away from the sensor in the camera - the great thing about these is that because there is no extra glass involved, there is no loss in image quality (they are also fairly inexpensive). It is not possible to focus to infinity with an extension tube on but if you are happy just to cut between shots this isn't really a problem.

I'd suggest perhaps starting out with some macro extension tubes to see what level of magnification you need in your shots without spending a fortune - or if you definitely want to buy a dedicated macro lens, I'd try some out in your local camera shop or perhaps rent a selection for a weekend to get a feel for what you need.

I'd suggest perhaps starting out with some macro extension tubes to see what level of magnification you need in your shots without spending a fortune - or if you definitely want to buy a dedicated macro lens, I'd try some out in your local camera shop or perhaps rent a selection for a weekend to get a feel for what you need.

chilipie, extension tubes vs. close up (magnification) filters? I just bought a set of filters (which cost more than a magnification tube) and I can live with them as long as they don't impact my image unfavorably as compared to using an extension tube. I just checked the extension tube out and it seems rather affordable. I'll get one. I just wanted your take on where they stack up compared to the filters.

Thanks.

Trade off either way. With a filter you are putting the image through extra (probably questionable quality unless you pay several hundred bucks for it) glass. With tubes you lose light as you do with anything that moves the lens away from the sensor, several stops depending on the length of the tube.

do you know about free lensing? using your kit lens (or what have you) set your camera settings accordingly, set your focus on the focal point, take your lens off and turn it around, hold it tight up against the sensor to avoid light spillage. now you have a macro lens. we used this method in the 48hour film last year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohu2WFXzbSU
at 4:20, the shots of the candles, and the eye. shot on a 5d mark 2.

Back