• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What low budget lighting on this situation?

Hi!

I need your advice because I'm struggling, for a few days now, with my lighting setup.

I'm going to record a simple, instructional videos regarding fitness in my home gym (image of simple layout scheme http://imgur.com/a/HGgS2 - grayish walls with white ceiling, windows can be completely shuttered). It won't be anything fancy, but I'd like it to look as professional - at least not amateur - as possible.

It will be recorded on black backdrop with 2 cameras - one in my LG G5 and one sports camera - Yi 4k. I know it's not very high-end equipment, but it's all I have. Camera settings will be - ISO - 400, 60fps if possible, 1440p or 2k resolution. Cameras will be mounted on tripods.

I bought 2 lamps with 27cm reflectors and 36W fluorescent bulbs. I know now it's definitely too weak to keep footage sharp.

The effect I've been thinking I'd like to achieve is something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ69kr3pOC8 but with harder lights and one overhead light to accentuate muscle definition. So the end result would be a link between something like this : IMAGE and this: IMAGE

Now - I have no idea if I should buy just stronger bulbs (maybe 2 or 4 on one lamp?) and make something like "barn doors" on them to not brighten the background, invest in some sort of stripboxes or maybe do something else?

Thank you and sorry for my english.

Then you should only shoot the slowmos at 60fps.

Plus: 36W is not enough.
Espescially for 60fps. 1/120 is 2.4 times less light hitting the sensor than at 1/50 (25fps)

And you need to test shooting in 60fps to see whether or not the lights flicker, because Europe has a 50Hz powergrid.
And to check your light output.

Last edited:
I have just ordered 2 125w bulbs (600w equivalent) and one additional reflector for my old bulb to overhead lighting. I think that should do. I've also found some reflective blend, which I could use just in case to reflect those rim lights a little.

I'll get back to you when I check this setup.

Back