What kit should I get?....

Hi guys

I am in need of some help and advice! In several months time I am traveling to Tanzania for up to six months. I am volunteering at a specific charity where I will be primarily making documentaries. I also want to make some short foreign films...however documentary making is the key focus whilst out there. I am currently looking to invest in to kit but my knowledge and expertise with equipment for film making is fairly poor.

I have a budget of £1000 max, unfortunately being a third year student has drained my funds.

Here is all of the equipment that I will need to purchase (second hand probably):
I would greatly appreciate any help and advice I can get with any of the following equipment, keeping in mind my situation and what I will be using it for :)

- A new camera
Something that is discrete for documentary film making, and produces a high quality image. (I have been looking in to the Cannon 70D?)

- Lenses
I am open to options here, but a good zoom lens will be vital.

- Microphone
Something that can be attached to the camera and can pick up dialogue or sounds from fairly good distances with high quality.

- Stabilizer/rig
Some form of stabilizer that can create relatively smooth tracking shots, however isn't to large to travel with.

If you think I have missed anything else then please do let me know.

I am really interested in seeing what you guys suggest, like I say...I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to tech so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!
Josh

Last edited:
Back