• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

lighting What is this lighting?

sfoster

Staff Member
Video is timestamped to 1 minute 5 seconds

What is going on here with the 3 purple streaks?
If I had to guess i would say its custom tinted glass but thats a pretty wild guess. It would certainly work but that seems way more effort.

Just skimmed; it’s a still shot, right? In which case it could be anything from a gel to coloured glass, led coloured light or even photoshop/grading.

Last edited:
Just skimmed; it’s a still shot, right? In which case it could be anything from a gel to coloured glass, led coloured light or even photoshop/grading.
yeah just a still. looks cool though, id like to be able to replicate something like that for video.

Last edited:
My money’s on the grade/photoshop, personally, based on the fact it’s not a purple light, however it’s possible it just happens to be an odd window that gave a cool effect.

My money’s on the grade/photoshop, personally, based on the fact it’s not a purple light, however it’s possible it just happens to be an odd window that gave a cool effect.

That might be right.

after some thought I think you could APPROXIMATE this look during production as follows

take a purple gel and a box cutter and then cut the shapes out where you dont want the light to be purple.
Then take some cinefoil or black paint or something and cover the gel where you dont want light to pass through.
or layer a nd gel on it to let a lesser amount of light pass through in some shape areas.

Now you've got a weird shape, some of its purple and some of its white.

Last edited:
That might be right.

after some thought I think you could APPROXIMATE this look during production as follows

take a purple gel and a box cutter and then cut the shapes out where you dont want the light to be purple.
Then take some cinefoil or black paint or something and cover the gel where you dont want light to pass through.
or layer a nd gel on it to let a lesser amount of light pass through in some shape areas.

Now you've got a weird shape, some of its purple and some of its white.
Or a flag/cutter/cookie with purple gel attached...

Or a flagged/cut/cookied light with gel covering only part of the lamp

Last edited:
Or a flag/cutter/cookie with purple gel attached...

Or a flagged/cut/cookied light with gel covering only part of the lamp

I dont understand how a cookie with purple gel would create this effect.
wouldn't it just be purple light in the shape and no white light ?

I tried to create it IRL but it looked like shit whenever i introduced the white light.
I think that it might be a projector throwing a computer generated image onto the wall.

I did get this cool looking effect though without introducing any white light.

Back