• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What filter I need for the film in film's audio please?

I need an urgent help please

-adobe premiere cc -

I have a short film where

a)few friends are talking to each other - no audio filter/settings needed

b) they are watching the film (through a pc monitor and sound system) one friend has secretly filmed

the audio / sound of the people on the film should be distinctly differ from than those audio / sound of those are commenting on the film while watching - so what audio settings/filter I need to apply to the audio comes from the pc system, so that pc audio distinctly differ from the rest of the audio

Last edited:
I work in Pro Tools, but the process should be about the same.

Set up a "Futz" track. The Futz track is where you process the dialog track for "extreme" sound effects.

Create a blank audio track directly below your other dialog (DX) tracks; label it Futz.

Copy the section of DX on which you want to put effects onto the futz track.

Mute or automate the volume to zero in that section of dialog in the "normal" DX track.

I'm sure that you have a parametric EQ you can insert onto the Futz track. Select a mid-range frequency.

Raise and lower the frequency until you approximate PC speakers.

You can use a Hi Pass Filter to drastically drop a lot of low end, which is characteristic of small speakers.

Remember, you are looking for a movie representation, not reality.

Thank you for that Alcoe,
I'll try to get it done with a friend since we both are extremely beginner with any editing software

It's an excellent tip to start with EQ - raising /lowering mid-range frequency
and/or drastically dropping the Hi Pass Filter to low end if I understood correctly

I appreciate your kind and prompt help very much

all the best

I work in Pro Tools, but the process should be about the same.

Set up a "Futz" track. The Futz track is where you process the dialog track for "extreme" sound effects.

Create a blank audio track directly below your other dialog (DX) tracks; label it Futz.

Copy the section of DX on which you want to put effects onto the futz track.

Mute or automate the volume to zero in that section of dialog in the "normal" DX track.

I'm sure that you have a parametric EQ you can insert onto the Futz track. Select a mid-range frequency.

Raise and lower the frequency until you approximate PC speakers.

You can use a Hi Pass Filter to drastically drop a lot of low end, which is characteristic of small speakers.

Remember, you are looking for a movie representation, not reality.

Back