• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

what do you think of this idea?

I was thinking about how tarantino's 'dogs' is his version of kubricks the killing, and how he changed it in never showing the actual heist. What about a similar premise but as everything goes wrong for them, the heist is ever actually accomplished? would that be a dumb idea? tell me what you guys think. could it work?

It could be a great story.

As with any idea it all depends on its execution. I'll bet some writers
could really bungle this and make it terrible. Are you the writer who
can make it work?

thanks. i hope so!

i was just really thinking about a somewhat original idea for a heist film. not showing the actual heist is genius since its the hardest part to pull off. would you feel cheated if the characters didnt succeed and maybe were killed?

I think this is kinda the idea behind movies like A Simple Plan and Fargo: perfectly good plans gone all to heck in a handbasket before any benefit to "the plan" is ever realized.

Yes, it's a creatively viable approach.

That's the challenge, isn't it?

If it was written well and I cared about the characters and I
believed in them I would not feel cheated. If they were
unsympathetic or did foolish things I might feel cheated.

not showing the actual heist is genius since its the hardest part to pull off.
This I completely disagree with. The actual heist is usually the
easiest part to pull off. It's everything else that's difficult. You
mention "The Killing" - my second favorite film of all time. The
actual heist is the easy part, it's the planning that is hard to pull
off. The interesting characters, the twists and, of course, the
collapse of the plan.

When will you finish your script?

Didn't know about the 'dogs'/kubrick connection, I though it was his version of the last 15 minutes of City on Fire, which always reinforced to me the idea that it wasn't the premise or plot that mattered in a film, it was purely the execution. So no, I don't think it's a dumb idea - but whether it makes a good film or not depends primarily on what you do with the idea, not the idea itself.

Back