what do you think of stoner comedies?

like em or hate em. what do you think? is it worth it to make a short? its pretty funny.
for example pineapple exprees, how high etc

Too broad a subject to generalize. Just as is true with any genre, there are good ones, and there are not so good ones. To be frank, I didn't really enjoy the two movies you mentioned.

I think "Half Baked" is pretty funny. So is the first "Harold & Kumar". "Up in Smoke" is classic. "Friday" is pretty damn good.

With those few exceptions, though, I think it might be a mistake to make a Stoner Comedy, wherein the entire movie is about smoking pot. In my opinion, I think this type of humor gets more mileage if it's not a Stoner Comedy, but has elements of Stoner Comedy in it. Like "The Big Lebowski".

Well, I lived my teen years through the 80's, and Cheech & Chong pretty much did them to death, IMO.

But I agree with CF. A movie with stoners in it is fine. A movie about stoners? Really depends on the execution. Not too many people will identify with your characters.

Besides, not too many characters will ever top Spicoli. :D

EDIT: Here's one for you:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0404364/

Last edited:
Come to think of it, only two of the four example I cited are technically Stoner Movies. "Half Baked" is a modern update of "Up in Smoke". "Friday", however, is more of a coming-of-age comedy-adventure, with stoners in it. "Harold & Kumar go to White Castle" is a Road Trip movie, with stoners in it.

So, I think it's best to come up with a good story, a funny concept, and then put stoners in it.

CF thanks man always great comments. Im not sure were to go from here, im thinking for my senior thesis and dont know whether to make one long 20-30 min short, or 2-3 shorter movies and maybe a music video?

I vote for the latter. You'll probably actually learn more about the process, and you'll probably produce better results. 20-30 minutes is a really big task. You might think that making a 30-minute short is the same amount of work as making three 10-minute shorts. Not true. It gets exponentially more difficult, especially in the screenwriting stage.

Either way, have fun with it, and be sure to post your results here.

Cheers!

So, I think it's best to come up with a good story, a funny concept, and then put stoners in it.

This.

Best way to look at it. Pineapple express is a buddy-action comedy with stoners. Heck, the Cheech and Chong movies could probably break down the same way. Didn't see "How High," but isn't "Half Baked" kind of a heist movie with stoners?

Last edited:
I think the danger is that you make a stoner movie and think that the marijuana is the funny thing. You've still got to write jokes, act jokes and create circumstances. It's not enough simply to have characters smoking weed and laughing at their own jokes (which is a real problem in indie stoners that i've seen), so make sure that the fact they're stoners is just a plot point and not the plot itself.

I could probably get lynched for this, but "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" is probably my favorite Kevin Smith film!

"What the fuck is the Internet?"

Pineapple Express is great. Up in smoke is great. Can't say i've watched either sober though ;)

There's a reason they're called stoner movies!

Back