• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What camera would be good for zooming in this case?

When it comes to run and gun shooting in situations where you want to zoom in or zoom out but want the zoom to look good and not want to stop recording what's going on, what are some hopefully not too expensive cameras, that would have a zoom feature like that?

I also had a project in mind that calls for a dolly/zoom shot, or in my case, I may use a slider instead of a dolly.

I have a DSLR but zoom lenses with a constant aperture are a lot more money, to the point where I figure I might as well just buy a camera that can perform a goodlooking zoom while shooting to begin with, rather than buy a DSLR lens only.

I would want a camera with a shallow DOF though, that can perform the zoom, so are there any good cameras with a shallow DOF, that have goodlooking lens zooming while shooting? I have looked around but all the cameras that have that kind of zooming have a deep DOF pretty much, and I would like shallow... if possible? I would also like 4K if possible as well.

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
I'm sorry that I suggested a zoom lens and have now sent you down the track of another sensless thread. I should have known better.

You'll spend $2000-4000 on the new camera.

Or just under $800 on a Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8.

Get the zoom lens.

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

You know, if you did appreciate it, you wouldn't be the laughing stock.

It'd take you about 2 or 3 weeks of (non-excuse style) filming experience to know the question you asked is wrong for your circumstance.

Ever used a 200mm lens?
You don't need good looking zooms. And you don't have to stop recording when you zoom as long as you cut it in the edit. :P
When it comes to run and gun shooting for corporate gigs: you need the ability to shoot details without standing only 1 foot away from machinery.

You research skills are poor btw, FS5 and FS7 are S35 cameras that can wield motorized zoom lenses, but that would be a waste of money.
You just need an extra lens. And you don't have to show the zooming in a video.

Okay thanks. It's not like this lens idea was put in my head from the conversation before, I thought of this long before, but it came back to me now, after talking about it.

I would like to have the dolly/zoom effect option though still, so is it possible to get that without a constant aperture lens in a DSLR?

Another reason to have the zoom option is, it just gives the footage a documentary, media camera style, that can add to the style. Paul Greengrass used it a lot in the Bourne movies, United 93, and Green Zone, and I like that style, so is it possible to get that in a DSLR at all?

Last edited:
I would like to have the dolly/zoom effect option though still, so is it possible to get that without a constant aperture lens in a DSLR?

Another reason to have the zoom option is, it just gives the footage a documentary, media camera style, that can add to the style. Paul Greengrass used it a lot in the Bourne movies, United 93, and Green Zone, and I like that style, so is it possible to get that in a DSLR at all?

Be careful with the zolly move... it's become quite cliché.

Yes, you can get that with a zoom lens on a DSLR. With practice (I repeat: practice) you can get a manual snap zoom if you need it. If you're crafty, and you need a smoother zoom for some reason, a follow focus can be rigged to do just that.

But you'll need a constant aperture lens. And again, the Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 comes in at $760 USD and is a very good, constant-aperture long zoom. The Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 is a great working lens as well at $499 USD. The two of those together still come in buttloads cheaper than buying a new camera that does everything you specified in your first post.

Need something wider? Grab the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 ART lens ($800 USD). Beautiful, fast, and sharp.

Or you could spend up to $4000 or more on a new camera (since you want 4K and shallow DOF... harder to do in smaller cameras with tiny chips). Honestly, I'd just grab the glass.

Okay thanks. Are you saying that shallow DOF is harder to do with tiny chips? Cause my DSLR is not full frame, but the shallow DOF is pretty good, or at least I thought so.

I had no idea to the tamron 70-200 was a constant aperture! I don't suppose there are any that go up to 300mm for under a $1000? If not, I might have to settle for the tamron.

There is a shot I want for a project where I can get the focal length, like the one you see in this clip at 1:12, of the woman with the gun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEfMsh6b7KA

And then after showing the actor at that focal length, or even closer perhaps, I want to zoom far back really fast. But I was told I need at least a 300mm to get that focal length...

Last edited:
Okay thanks. Are you saying that shallow DOF is harder to do with tiny chips? Cause my DSLR is not full frame, but the shallow DOF is pretty good, or at least I thought so.

That's not a tiny chip.

What I'm saying is that you wanted recommendations on a new camera that has a servo zoom, 4K, and shallow DOF... and isn't very expensive. That pretty much narrows the options down to small camcorders that feature 1/4" image sensors. A chip that size is hard-pressed to blur the background.

Your camera with its APS-C sensor does not have that issue.

Okay thanks. I haven't used a 200mm lens. I used a 300mm, borrowed from a friend before, but not constant aperture. I was thinking of getting the Sony A7s, but I read that the tamron will not fit on it. Is that true? I also read that the tamron, has vignetting on it, and I don't want that probably, if that's true.

Last edited:
Okay, this is my last post in this thread.

The Tamron 70-200mm for Canon APS-C does not have vignetting on Canon APS-C cameras. I have one with a T5i body and have no issues.

Don't get the Sony. Stay with what you know, lest we end up in 37 endless threads of you trying to figure out the Sony. Plus, none of the lenses you own will transfer to the Spny. If you want a cleaner image, the T5i is much better than the T2i. It also has manual sound recording level control built in.

Okay, this is my last post in this thread.

The Tamron 70-200mm for Canon APS-C does not have vignetting on Canon APS-C cameras. I have one with a T5i body and have no issues.

Don't get the Sony. Stay with what you know, lest we end up in 37 endless threads of you trying to figure out the Sony. Plus, none of the lenses you own will transfer to the Spny. If you want a cleaner image, the T5i is much better than the T2i. It also has manual sound recording level control built in.

Oh okay. The reason why I was thinking of getting the Sony soon, is that it's good for shooting wide shots at night under low light, where I would not have the budget to light the whole street. The Canon T5i is not near as good as the A7s for doing that though. I know people say to light the scene instead, but I can't light a whole street. I also want some video shots of the town skyline where I live, and I cannot light the whole skyline. So I thought that the A7s, or something with that kind of exposure capability, would be better.

The T5i is also only 1080p, where as I wanted 4K for my next one. So is there a Canon camera with an APS-C sensor that is 4K, that can shoot as bright at night as the A7s?

Last edited:
It would be an investment for later on so I wouldn't have to get another camera later on.

There's a hole in your plan. At the current rate you're shooting at, you'll have needed 2 additional upgrades before you shoot your next film. Right now, thinking about camera upgrades is wasting time and money. It's neither an investment nor a sane thought for you to have.

If you were already in the habit of shooting every week, an a7s II would be a great investment.

Back