what camera should i use

Ok so i am a producer, director and writer. Of a movie i am wanting to make. This movie is a documentary movie. And one of the actors is filming the whole movie. Now This is a paranormal movie. Nothing like paranormal activity though. I need a camcorder that is HD shoots really good at night or has IR night vision on it. I know sony has the best camcorder for that. So i am looking for something around 350 and under as of right now. I can get bigger priced later. Right now that is where it stands. So can anyone tell me which camcorder i should get. Also if you can tell me the best professional one to buy i dont care of the price. Just nothing over 3,000. I needs to be able to shoot at night, HD, Mini DV is fine for both. Something that is really good.

I believe Sony is actually the only company that manufactures a camcorder that can capture infra-red images. Some of their cameras have the capability, but don’t have built in infra-red lights, so a separate unit must be bought and fixed to the cameras hot-shoe.

I have the HDR XR500VE, which does HD and infra-red Night-Shot, but they cost closer to a grand. I bought this over a year ago, so they may be cheaper now, and at the time it was the only HD camera available with Night-Shot. This is also a good camera for other movie-making activities, as it has mic in and headphone out ports, something most people agree is pretty important. It doesn’t have the option shoot 24p though… :(

The only other option with infra-red at the time was the DCR-HC52, which is Mini-DV, but they are SD only. These should be pretty cheap on EBay.

Unfortunately, I can’t help you on the pro cameras, I don’t know if any of them have this feature.

Back