What Are You Reading?

What are you reading?

Books, but magazines or journals or articles or whatever, too, if you like.

And when you've finished reading it, and you feel like it, please consider writing a review, or giving us a recommend or a don't recommend or whatever.

Or review or recommend/don't recommend what you've just read.

I usually have a few or more books going at the same time. That way, if I fee like reading this, I can read this. Or, if I don't feel like reading this, I can read that. Kinda ensures that my reading is not so efficient, as in, it takes much longer to finish one of them than it ought to. =P

I just finished Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. I love the films. I'm finally reading the books. I read a book, then I rewatch the film. I'm enjoying the process. And I'm happy to find that I like the books and Rowling's writing too. It's interesting to see what the filmmakers did differently and what they did the same. I'm not sure, but interestingly, it seems like, maybe, the fims have been improving on what she wrote. Of course, that's really difficult to say with any certainty, I think. Hopefully, I'll shortly be starting Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

I'm slowly slogging through Islam for Dummies by Malcolm Clark.

Just finished Sam Harris's Free Will. Good. He's one of my favorite writers/thinkers. It's a very slim book and readable, so probably wouldn't take to long to cruise through it. Recommend, if you're a Sam Harris fan, anyway.

Just picked up Ric Viers The Location Sound Bible today. Don't know if I'll be jumping right into that, or waiting a bit.

I sometimes wish I had the time to read more books... My iPad is full of iBooks I still have to read.

Most recently, I re-read the LOTR trilogy and The Hobbit. Probably still my favourite book series, even if FOTR is relatively slow.

Currently reading Crime and Punishment. Its a Russian classic; I am over half done, and so far like it.

I think when you get to the fourth and fifth HP movies, you will be vastly disappointed after reading the books.

I love the Harry Potter books and movies. They were an immovable fixture in my childhood and I still listen to the audiobooks to get myself to sleep at night (only when I'm alone, I don't want to seem like a psychopath).

Because I'm doing a degree in English Lit, I have to read incessantly and very dry texts. Last week I was reading Paradise Lost for one unit and the Middle English poems Patience, Cleanness, Pearl and The Epistle of Sweet Susanne. This week I'm reading the poetry of Andrew Marvell and some medieval fables.

I, personally, can't wait to have more time to read for pleasure again, but I guess I'm getting to study an awful lot of things that most people would only be vaguely aware of. So yeah, on with Marvell...

Sniper On the Roof by Warren Graffeo. It's a fictional crime story set around the Howard Johnson Hotel sniper in New Orleans 40 years ago. It's rather timely since the 40th anniversary just passed. It's currently only available as an e-book.

He also has a sci-fi space story called Star Wolf. I haven't downloaded that one yet.

rereading Bruce Sterling's "zeitgeist" one of my all time favorites!

Lines like that song has "more catchy hooks then the barbed wire fence around Verdun!" Ouch!

I love the Harry Potter books and movies. They were an immovable fixture in my childhood and I still listen to the audiobooks to get myself to sleep at night (only when I'm alone, I don't want to seem like a psychopath).

Because I'm doing a degree in English Lit, I have to read incessantly and very dry texts. Last week I was reading Paradise Lost for one unit and the Middle English poems Patience, Cleanness, Pearl and The Epistle of Sweet Susanne. This week I'm reading the poetry of Andrew Marvell and some medieval fables.

I, personally, can't wait to have more time to read for pleasure again, but I guess I'm getting to study an awful lot of things that most people would only be vaguely aware of. So yeah, on with Marvell...

The Harry Potter thing made me laugh haha. I own Paradise Lost, and I read maybe a third of the way into it before I just went ahead reading all of the editor notes instead to find out what happens. It was interesting, but sometimes reading Old English forms can get somewhat tiresome.

I'm reading this... and stuff related to this -- http://angularjs.org/ Looks really cool so far, deals with many of the issues I had with jQuery (which I thought was clunky -- although better than straight AJAX; but at least none of that was hidden in libraries and nonsensical abstractions).

I wish I had some books laying around to read. I read the Hunger Games trilogy recently, but since then I haven't had a real good book to read. :/

Books? Pft!

Actually seriously I love books but this is what my friends always say! :/

I'm currently finishing off another Ted Dekker book. I've read pretty much every book of his and my personal collection is growing rather rapidly, I've just ordered five of his books online, including the one he released days ago (:D :D) and bought another five or six right before Christmas as well.

Besides my Litertaure books I had to study for year 12, the last good books (before Ted Dekker!) that I read were the Hunger Games trilogy, just a few months before the first trailer for the film came out

Richy, I envy you and your Happy Potter book virginity. They only get better and better as the series goes on (though six is probably my personal favorite.) The first three films remain very faithful to the books and after that they really start (understandably) trimming them down.

I also usually read a couple things at a time. Right now I'm doing Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett, Digital Fortress by Dan Brown (really really pulpy but not too bad) and I'm still working on Bill Clinton's autobiography.

The Harry Potter thing made me laugh haha. I own Paradise Lost, and I read maybe a third of the way into it before I just went ahead reading all of the editor notes instead to find out what happens. It was interesting, but sometimes reading Old English forms can get somewhat tiresome.

Man, you don't know the half of it. Compared to most of the literature I have to study, Paradise Lost is very modern.

This is an extract from one of my Middle English texts, Pearl:

Syþen in þat spote hit fro me sprange,
Ofte haf I wayted, wyschande þat wele,
Þat wont wat3 whyle deuoyde my wrange
And heuen my happe and al my hele.

And this is some genuine Old English, from the poem The Dream of the Rood:

Gimmas stōdon
fægere æt foldan scēatum, swylce þær fife wæron
uppe on þām eaxlgespanne. Behēoldon þær engel dryhtnes ealle,
fægere þurh forðgesceaft. Ne wæs ðær hūru fracodes gealga,
ac hine þær behēoldon hālige gāstas,
men ofer moldan ond eall þēos mære gesceaft.

So yeah, Paradise Lost is a tough read but at least it's in English!

"The DVD Novel: How The Way We Watch Television Changed the Television We Watch" by Greg Metcalf.

Interesting book about the rise of long-form TV series, spurred by the production/purchase of DVD full series sets.

Back