What a sound engineer REALLY does.

Funny stuff :)

Though I have to say, that the thingy from the first clip always gets misinterpreted in general public view, and overhyped in comic sketches as this one.
I deal with some major operatic voices recordings, usually them doing some side projects in studio, and I still make a LOT of tiny adjustments, using all the sophisticated tools the tech gave us lately. For me it became an art in itself, polishing the gold, so it becomes platinum. Its a 100% manual process for me (and non-realtime of course) and sometimes the adjustments are far from obvious, since you try and experiment by ear.

Studio recordings have always been a tough call, and previously you just had to do TONS of takes (youtube for Franco Corelli unreleased recordings, since he was "unhappy" with them - crazy!!). So my point is that digital just allows us to save otherwise great takes, by adjusting or replacing a tiny bit. Nowadays everything is about speed and efficiency, cause who has those long hours to spare on recordings anyway? :)

_

Last edited:
Back