Was I 'kicked to the curb', on this project maybe?

About a year ago, I went to a different city to record production audio for a short film that a film crew was making, in order to get funding for a feature film. I didn't get paid for gas money or anything, but wanted to go for the experience, and hopefully to make some connections.

They got the funding, they actually got a million and some dollars, but I wasn't able to get an exact quote. They made the feature film, and it was shown all over Canada, where I am from, as well as some U.S. cities such as Los Angeles.

I was not part of the feature, just the short film made in order to get the funding. However, they did use all of the same cast and crew as the short, same actors, DP, and everything. So I felt kind of curiously left out since I was the only one that they didn't want to come back. But if they didn't want me, they didn't want me, it was up to them.

However, a year later the movie is done and is now premiering in the city where I live, and the director and producer as well as some of the cast, and DP as far as I know, are going to be there promoting it. Tickets are on sale for anyone who wants to go, but I wasn't sure if I should go. I mean they didn't really invite me to make the feature after with them, and they didn't invite me to this premiere at all, even though it's my city, and I recorded the production audio for the original short film.

So should I go? I feel awkward about it, and possibly a bit resented since I was the only one who didn't get asked back, if you read the credits to the movie, literally, since I remember all those people I worked with, on the short.

The main reason I would be going would be to make new contacts, but if those main contacts from before, such as the director and producer, did not want me for the feature after, would it do any good to reconnect with them, by buying a ticket to the premiere, in order to hopefully to work with them on future projects later, do you think?

What do you think?

Are you curious?
Yes? - > Go.

They might not have invited you, because they 1) forgot or 2) feel awkward about inviting you.
If you just go and say hi, it probably won't be as weird as you think.

Yes, attend. You don't know why you were not hired. So no need to be bitter. The whole crew is not in charge of hiring so surely you'll see contacts you know and get along with possibly including the director, so go.

Okay thanks. I didn't feel bitter over it, just felt unwanted and not sure if I should go. I went and it was a good time, and I think I made some good contacts. I met two great actors from the movie, that I worked with before while making the short film, and I got their information to work with the again, if they would like to in the future.

The feature film itself, they made was pretty good, production wise. The cinematography was really top notch, accept for one scene which was considerably over exposed, in a car. But the rest of it was really top notch! As well as the settings and costume designs. Everything seemed to gel on screen, looks wise.

However, the audio was kind of poor. The dialogue just had too much room reverb, in rooms where there shouldn't be that much such as in regular house settings with carpet. The music and sound FX were well recorded though.

I mean if I remember correct I thought they said that the short film got them a million dollar budget, but it didn't show in the dialogue sound. However, the CGI effects were really top notch and even though they are only in a few shots, maybe that's where a lot of the money went.

The fight scenes could have been better though, as there was too much shaky cam in the fights, and it was really hard to tell what was going on. But all in all a good production :).

Back