Video Resolution of cameras

Why do high end DSLRs, CSCs and other video cameras provide us with a maximum resolution of 1080p unless you really want to spend money whereas the GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition allows us the shoot 4K at a slow framerate and 2.7K at30FPS while still providing great video cameras?

Is there such an alternative for people like us who want great video and resolution while giving a great price like the GoPro does?

I realize people get the GoPro for this very reason but I am not wanting to use the fish eye.

Thoughts?

Why do high end DSLRs, CSCs and other video cameras provide us with a maximum resolution of 1080p unless you really want to spend money whereas the GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition allows us the shoot 4K at a slow framerate and 2.7K at30FPS while still providing great video cameras?

Is there such an alternative for people like us who want great video and resolution while giving a great price like the GoPro does?

I realize people get the GoPro for this very reason but I am not wanting to use the fish eye.

Thoughts?

The 4k is basically a gimmick. Nothing, especially sports stuff will look good at 12fps or 15fps.

The go pro has virtually no manual control so that puts its costs down a lot.

You know how compact cameras advertise 18mega pixels or similar meanwhile SLRs still have the same megapixels but cost 10 times as much? It's not always about the resolution, it's the quality of the resolution. There are other factors involved, however I don't believed I am experienced enough to comment on them at this point other than the fact that Gopros have little to no control over ISO, focus <--- probably the two most import things

Last edited:
GoPros are also tiny cameras with teeny tiny sensors. Think of your consumer handycam versus a large-sensor DSLR, or a RED camera. A RED camera shooting SD 720x576 will look 10x better than your $400 handycam shooting 1080p.

GoPros are great for their sports purpose, but aren't really useful for much else, no matter how high their resolution is.

Back