favorite Video-games themed feature/short films 🎮

What are in everyone's opinion the best films (feature and short) whose main theme revolve around video games?

I'm not talking here necessarily of films that are based on actual video games or take place inside a video game reality; but also films whose main theme revolve around video games, such as a film shot in an amusement arcade or a film where protagonists are nerds into video games.

Please shoot!

Last edited:
King of Kong - best documentary around a video game
Best Short - that black mirror episode. i think season 5 episode 1

Then there is Tron and Ready PLayer One that come to mind as narrative films.

I'd like to see a Legend of Zelda movie but a quality one has never been made.

Funny thing is both of these are about the same. Kids playing video games that aren't really games but government/spy material. Good sleuth movies for kids. Not recommending either, but you asked. 😂

When I was a kid I was obsessed with:
This, 100%. I literally used to come home from grade school and watch this movie every day for a while. Obsessed is the right word. I did rewatch it a few years ago, hoping to remember what was so great, but like most movies that delivered thrills based on cutting edge technology, it had aged pretty badly. Still, I'll always remember this one at the height of it's greatness. A seldom remembered classic!

HBO used to loop the same movies over and over and over and they were usually the not-so-good ones back then. It was kind of normal to put it on and watch a movie again instead of basic cable. Plus I had the same game system as in the movie the Atari 5200 so it added to the obsession.

Same, in regards to the 5200. I remember looking at my game console in a whole new way after that movie, thinking that I might be on the cusp of discovering some hidden message within every new cartridge. I was quite young at the time, lol. I am glad that the joysticks didn't wear out quite so fast as the 2600 ones, I used to destroy a 2600 joystick like once a month. I think my parents grew to hate me over those joysticks. lol.

Last edited:
I remember trying to find the game called Cloak & Dagger because they made it look like it existed. I don't think it did. Sega Master System was my next obsession. All the cool kids has Nintendo but I thought I was cooler for being different. Then Sega blew up (years later).

I remember trying to find the game called Cloak & Dagger because they made it look like it existed. I don't think it did. Sega Master System was my next obsession. All the cool kids has Nintendo but I thought I was cooler for being different. Then Sega blew up (years later).
Dude, rofl, I did the same thing, looking for that cloak and dagger game. You know, they should have actually made one, I bet that happened to a million kids.

No way, it actually did exist, now I wonder why I never found it. No internet or gamestop back then likely being the reason. I used to have to drive to another city and go to this store called "Service Merchandise" to find games. It had treadmills and furniture and chandeliers and in the very farthest back corner, a small wall of video games, maybe 5-10 each for the c64, atari, etc. By drive I of course mean beg my overworked parents to drive me, lol.

Last edited:
Back