• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

VIDEO GAME MOVIES

What video game movie did you like the most? Which one did you like the least? Why?

What videogame do you think would make a good movie and why?

Which ones do you think they should remake? I believe they should remake the resident evil franchise. They messed up big time. The story in the video game is incredible, with twists and turns suitable for hollywood. But they instead made a shitty series. I guess it's entertaining, but that's it. Everything else sucks. I have a great idea for a resident evil screenplay. Just an idea. Have already to many projects to make this one, but once in a while I like to sit down and think about it.

So tell me what you think.... And if you played resident evil, the first one, tell me how the movie should be if you did it.

The first step isn't a director, it's having a script that is worth directing.

And that right there says it all. :lol:

:cheers:

And, yes, I am an avid gamer. Playing Metro 2033 right now. Very story driven. Also a fan of Morrowind and Oblivion, though haven't tried Fallout 3 yet. Not much time lately for these vast and time consuming RPGs.

A co-worker is playing Dragon Age. I steered away from it because I prefer first person, but he keeps telling me the story development and plot points that make it all the more interesting.

Yes, there is a huge market for writing for games. They are becoming increasingly story driven. Even the console games like Resistance: Fall of Man and the sequel.

So I do wholeheartedly believe that some could translate very well to the big screen. But I have yet to see it done to my complete liking despite a few entertaining examples.

Last edited:
Your picture. Gamers grew up with video games. I don't comment on your age as an insult. But dude, you were playing pong in high school.

I'm not trying to hate on you. I see the posts you leave on this forum, and I think you're a solid dude, with some good advice.

But you ain't no gamer.

Just in case you haven't already googled my completely meaningless pop-culture reference: http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/154111

Way to read a book by its cover. You don't have to be a certain age to be considered a "gamer". I meet hard core gamers of all ages.

completely meaningless pop-culture reference

Precisely. ;)

Game "stories" are typically something like this:

Go over there and get that. Good job. Now, go over to that other place, and get that other thing. Wait -- things are getting really hairy -- we're going to need you to go all the way over to that crazy place and get that crazy thing. And, blow up a bunch of zombie, while you're at it.

I'm not a gamer either, but I remember watching the previews for Dead Space and I thought that was a pretty good story. It seemed alot more involved than "go get this--blow this up--run through there."

-- spinner :cool:

I think videogames are creating very good story lines. God of war1-3 is a good example. As well as Halo 1-3
Fallout 3 (Try it, it is BADASS) Oblivion. Uncharted 1-2. Man there are so many!

I think Avatar man is wrong, no offense, but games have very creative stories. You said True Gamers grow up with videogames, yet you say he gew up playing Pong. It's a paradox. And Im not nerdy, running around wearing videogame shirts and a cape, and I love videogames. Does that mean Im not a gamer, because Im not messy?

There are making a Bioshock Movie. The writer of Gladiator is the writer :yes: Very excited.

Yep. The only problem with the Bioshock movie the last time I checked is, the budget and the director. The movie jumps around from Director to director.

And I forgot his name, thats why I said Avatar Man. And for the weed man and the coffee cup, I used to smoke weed day and night like a Jamaican but I quit :yes: Lucky me, Now Im into Prescription pills lol :P
But, I think we all have our poisons, hey, we're writers jk.

But, I think Halo would make a great movie. They need there to be multiple story lines though, not just Masterchief. Have a marine Character as he falls in love with FoeHammer (A character in the first halo game). Have Thel' Mada, the Elite that was Arbiter in the second game, be the main villain, and Sesa his right hand man (Oops, I mean Elite). Sesa in the second game becomes the heretic, because he found the Oracle before the Halo was destroyed, and the Oracle told him the truth about the rings. Hense, in the second movie he can be a main villain, who was once Thel Madas Friend.

At the end of the first movie, they should have a battle between Thel' Mada (Arbiter) And Master chief, Each wielding double Plasma swords, while Flood infest the area. What a bad ass ending would that be. They both escape the blast, and the set up for the Second movie begins.

Make each movie 2 hours and fifteen minutes (135 pages, roughly) And it would be a perfect time frame for a great halo movie. The entire Trilogy would be badass, but the third one would for sure need some things added to it, since the Third games story line wasn't so good.

This is the story line I am writing for my Halo script. I'm starting the first 20 pages tonight. The Pillar of Autumn sequence :yes: And you can say I am excited. I am molding together some levels of the game, and cutting out more things. The warthog will be used, as well as the Pelican, and the tank and the Ghost. I'm only allowing the weapons and vehicles used in the first game, to be allowed in the first movie... No battle rifle till the sequel. The Banshee will make a few appearences in the first script, but Chief wont use it till the second.

My first Movie surrounds the connection between Master chief and Cortana, to beings created for military purposes, hence taking away their right to truly live. They dont mind as you will see. And this connection brings them together and they do love eachother, but through the sequels their love becomes more apparent, the first script is more of a friendship with hints of Appeal. But they know they can never be together, which I believe makes the love even stronger, and the reader will feel more for each character.
The movie also revolves Around Jake, the very savage Marine, and Foehammer, top of the notch pilot. They fall in love through destruction, like a phoenix through its ashes. Their love is much more apparent then Cortanas and Chiefs. It's real, and it happens. Another part of the movie follows Thel Mada and Sesa, as they are held responsible for killing Chief, activating the ring, and capturing Cortana and by capturing her, they find the locationg of Earth (Cortana is a AI hologram). Also, the Flood are gonna mix it up. They make their debut 4/7 through the way in the film. And the sentinels come in 5/7's the way through.

I think soon I am gonna post my idea for a Halo script on a thread. I might do it now.:lol:

Oh, and guess what? They are making a Mass effect movie, planning on doing a trilogy. That sounds fucking AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Still, I would write the Best Video Game movies. I could writer a steller Resident evil movie, setting it up for a sequel. A perfect Bioshock and Halo movie. I would do a very good Mass effect, but hey, I guess I haven't made a name for myself yet. :hmm:

Key word YET:cool:

And I forgot his name, thats why I said Avatar Man. And for the weed man and the coffee cup, I used to smoke weed day and night like a Jamaican but I quit :yes: Lucky me, Now Im into Prescription pills lol :P
But, I think we all have our poisons, hey, we're writers jk.

Weed man? Where did that come from? It's a tired green monster drinking coffee in one hand (with a Corvette logo on the cup) and holding a Corvette in the other hand. Corvette represents distraction and a road to procrastination. The monster represents anger that is well under control these days (except if you cut me off in traffic, you'll get a glimpse, and for sure don't ask me my opinion of the current government administration :lol:). Fuzzy purple slippers show I'm not a blind conformist. I suppose you can stretch that to mean I am secure in my masculinity and not afraid to express my feminine side.

Last edited:
VP Turner I think this is the begginning of a very goo friendship lol

I think conforming turns you into just another statistic in the 95% of no bodies this world produces..... Where this because he's wearing it, buy that cuase he's go it.... Chasing a ghost, following the follower. In the end, it turns you into.... Ta-da Everybody else. If you can step out of the jungle they call Conformity, or being normal, you can laugh and watch as they squabble and quack their ways to wherever. Then, we have a free ride to coast without being disturbed. The other 5%, us, have free minds. We are who we are and we don't do things most the time, to copy someone or be someone. If you do, you will end up in a house, with a dog, two cars, a petty job, a wife and two kids. Don't get me wrong, that's not a bad life, but everyone has the potential to be great. Everyone in the world is best at something. It's true. Let's just hope what your good at has been invented already, lol.....

But, anyways, Mass effect is a great game, should be a great movie if they follow the story outline, of course chaging things in the game somewhat, and it will be fab-u-lousssss Lol. Keep all the same villains and just introduce a few new plot twists so even the Fans who loved the game will be surprised and keep the good stuff, especially the story and characters and villains, and the Fans will be happy. And the % of the people who aren't gamers will be introduced to a great Story and a fresh new look on the universe. See, that's why Videogame movies could be great. It's to bring great characters and Stories, that take much longer to create and produce then a movie, and bring it to an audience who doesn't play videogames, and take gamers away from their controllers and show them a non interactive expeiriance that will knock their socks off. Then, they can go back and play the game, and if they don't have it, then buy it. EVERYBODY WINS..

And I think it's a bad idea Avatar Man to change the story completely like you said. Fans will be pissed, the idea of adapting a video game will be ruined, and it will probably suck, no one wins. You don't see writers who adapt a book comepletely changing the story around do ya? NO!!! It'd defeat the purpose and would be redundant. No offense to you, you are chill and I do like your opinions, I just think your wrong about this.

And sorry, I thought that monster was a weed leaf, lol. Oh, and what do you think of that Democratic administration? Jk Jk

Back