• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Video Codec for ProTools

I have one client in particular that likes to do their own mix on every video. Works for me, but every time I send them video they have problems opening it in ProTools. It's been a bit of a head scratcher, because every other ProTools guys I work with has no problem opening any file I send be it a flavor of H.264 or less compressed ProRes. I've tried having them install codec packages and what not, but wanted to ask you guys, specifically audio experts:

Is there a sure-fire format/codec I can export that will work in ProTools every time? Preferably a compressed format, but I'm not picky at this point :)

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. I have read others say that, but I need an HD format. DV restricts to standard definition.

Edit:
Granted, resolution doesn't matter that much while mixing as long as you can see in detail everything important, but on my side it's final delivery. Once I send it I never see it again, they handle audio and marry it to the video file.

I always request a H264 and then transcode it for use in ProTools. You can't reliably use H264 in ProTools directly. The two best HD formats to transcode to are ProRes and Avid's own DnxHD. I use MpegStreamClip on the Mac to transcode to ProRes 422 and PavTube to transcode to DNxHD on Windows.

You (he/they) will need the Avid DNxHD codecs, which can be downloaded free from Avid, HERE. There are codecs for both Win & OSX. If he/they can't play either of these two HD codecs he/they have some serious problems with their computer and/or ProTools installation.

G

Back