• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Very common music video effect. HOW??

A single shot will go from normal speed to slow motion, and vice versa. How's that done? If you shoot in 24fps, slowing it down wouldn't come out quite smooth. But shooting at a higher frame rate means that getting normal speed in a 24fps video would be skipping frames, right? Seems like a conundrum. How do the pros do it?

(My best guess: shoot in one of those slo-mo modes on the camera, like "Movie/S&Q Motion" on Sony, where it records slow motion to 24fps--as opposed to shooting in 60p--then increase the clip's speed in post for normal speed.)

Not looking for the "twitch" effect, but you can see the effect I *am* talking about in that clip: How he transitions from slow motion to regular speed in the same shot, and it's all smooth.

Not looking for the "twitch" effect, but you can see the effect I *am* talking about in that clip: How he transitions from slow motion to regular speed in the same shot, and it's all smooth.

Speed ramping.

Shoot in a higher frame rate (60p, or 120p if you have/need it). Use your motion controls to change playback speed through keyframes, and add a Bézier curve to smooth the speed changes. Yeah, it’ll skip some frames to play the 60p material at “normal” speed in a 24p or 30p time base, but that’s not a big deal.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qpph9lvoEVU

Last edited:
Back