Using a digital Audio Recorder?

Hey all, I have never really used a sound equipment for all my noobish productions. Now,having realized the importance of sound quality, I planned to buy few gear for sound. I searched up online and found this digital audio recorder just 96$.

My budget is 100$, so I was quite happy to be able to afford this. Can anyone here suggest me if this is a good gear or not? Can I record good sound from this?

PS. Also I am planning to buy a camera. My budget is 300$. I was planning on Go Pro Hero HD 2. Any suggestions?

I'm not a fan on Zoom products, I much prefer Tascam; look at the Tascam DR-05, ($99).

The Shure SM-57 is a dynamic mic. It's pick-up range is measured in inches and it is intended for very high SPL environments like a concert stage.

What you need is a condenser mic which has much greater sensitivity. Condenser mics require phantom power, which will not be supplied by micro-budget audio recorders. (The least expensive audio recorder that can supply phantom power would be the Tascam DR-40 at around $200.) You can, of course use a mic that has its phantom power supplied by an internal battery (Rode NTG-2, Audio Technica AT897), but they are a bit more expensive than their counterparts and have noticeably lower volume output levels. However, these shotgun mics are your only choice if you are using a budget recorder like the DR-05, H1, etc.

You may want to consider the Rode Video Mic ($150). Not a true shotgun, it is a high impedance self-powered mic with decent sound. B&H has a kit adding the boom-pole and an extension cable for $170. The Rode VM and the DR-05 would be a decent beginners/hobbyist kit. You should also add the dead cat ($40) for a total of about $300.

I'd stay away from any Go Pro for your sole camera. They're awesome for putting them where you can't put a normal camera. But, for just over $200 for the camera I'd look at the Canon HF R300.

I like the DR-100 better than the H4n. It has manual volume controls and a more solid build. The DR-40 is similar to the DR-100 but without the manual volume controls and a few other minimal differences.

Back