Used, budget, portable mixer

How much would I have to spend on a simple, used, portable budget mixer? I recently discovered how good a mixer is and how it turns a Tascam DR100 into a pro recording device (I was stunned at the difference...)

I already have access to a bulky mixer which is only really usable indoors. However, for a simple, mixer that is more portable, what would I need to spend on a used item?

My criteria are it has to be portable, give me the ability to do a little sound design and give enough of a pre-amp boost that it removes the hiss inherent in a budget recorder (Tascam). I don't really need it indoors so it would be purely for outdoors as I already have an indoor mixer. I don't have that many mics so I am thinking 2 - 4 inputs (I do not believe I need more than 4 inputs) and two XLR outputs.

What would you recommend and how many pennies do I need to save up?

What you are hearing is the quality of the mic pre-amps in the mixer and much less DR-100. (Which unit were you using, BTW?)

I've used all the below (the earlier non-"D" of the MixPre, but essentially it's the same unit).

Sound Devices 302 - $1,300

Sound Devices MixPre-D - $750

PSC DV PROMIX 3 - $475

Shure FP33 - $1,300

There are, of course, pricier ones, but I assume you want to stay in the realm of somewhat affordable.

What you are hearing is the quality of the mic pre-amps in the mixer and much less DR-100. (Which unit were you using, BTW?)

I've used all the below (the earlier non-"D" of the MixPre, but essentially it's the same unit).

Sound Devices 302 - $1,300

Sound Devices MixPre-D - $750

PSC DV PROMIX 3 - $475

Shure FP33 - $1,300

There are, of course, pricier ones, but I assume you want to stay in the realm of somewhat affordable.

Good question about the unit. I have no idea is the answer... I borrowed it from a pro who has a couple of mixers kicking around. He lent me one with some mics etc... and gave me a couple of hours of tuition. I was shocked at how little I knew and how much there was to understand. I finally understood the term 'sound design.'

I will come back to you on the mixer when I have another look at it.

Thanks for the heads-up. Naturally, we have to add a few quid because of taxes on this side of the pond but I will look to see what I can do. The pre-amps blew me away in the mixer and we were able to set the DR100 to the lowest settings meaning we could eliminate all hiss.

I finally understood the term 'sound design.'

Don't take this the wrong way, but you haven't even scratched the surface. The technical side of sound quality - capturing clean, rich sound - is what provides the sound team the sonic fodder to build a detailed, believable soundscape.

But yeah, your first exposure to and chance to use professional, high quality gear is a real mind-blower. I remember my first exposure to Pro Tools in the very early '90's - '93 if I remember right; at the time an entry level system was well into five figures. But all I knew was "I GOTTA get into this!!!" Long before I could even afford Pro Tools LE I was able to get into Digital Performer and I was HOOKED!

As a session musician through the 80's I was exposed to very high end recording gear, but PT (and subsequently DP) allowed for control that I had only dreamed of with reel-to-reel tape, even if I already was a confirmed MIDIot.

Is it really necessary to switch mixers? You say you only need an "outdoor" mixer because you already have an "indoor" mixer... but, if I'm reading that right, what you actually mean is that you have a table-top console that requires AC, and you need a portable field mixer.

Depending on what you have with your console, you may want to eliminate it from the mix altogether. Get a good field mixer and use it in all locations, for continuity of sound if nothing else. Alcove gave you a great starting list, though I'd eliminate the FP33 from that list. It had its day, and I remember when it was THE go-to field mixer in ENG/EFP and we all thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I didn't realize how noisy it was until I tried Sound Devices. The MixPre-D is a stellar little device, and the 302 is a great step up from there. You might also be able to find a good deal on a used SD 442, though... and if you can swing it, do it. That will give you room to grow once you realize how useful a good, reliable field mixer is.

Back