Upstream Color

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U9KmAlrEXU

Was just wondering what he might have been up to since Primer, should be making rounds soon. Screening here sold out. :(

Finally able to see this, and it was exactly what I wanted it to be. Sparse, enigmatic, efficient, and completely lacking any exposition through dialogue what-so-ever.

Definitely ordering a copy.

Sound Design people take note: there are moments in this film the likes of which have not been on screen since The Conversation. A bold statement, I know, and I won't go into spoilers. Suffice to say that it was awarded a Special Jury Prize for Sound Design at Sundance.

http://www.wired.com/underwire/?p=137810

Very interesting. :)

I was left wondering last night if he would continue to work the same methodology as Primer/UC on his next film. Article implies very strongly that he will.

It was a good article. I wasn't that blown away by Primer when it first came out. In fact, someone recently asked me if I'd seen the film and I said, 'no.' Didn't even remember I'd seen it till I read abt UC in Wired.

However, I was tremendously impressed by what he'd manage to accomplish on a micro budget. And I can relate to the artist vs profit dilemma so many face.

This looks amazing!! Just re-watch Primer this weekend, can't wait for UC, can't find a UK release date for it yet. Really like Carruths Welles-esq multirole/control freak approach to his films.

I liked it. It's pretty interesting, though unconventional.

I guess the biggest problem I have with it is that
the bad guy who date raped, fleeced, and mind frelled her, and presumably the others as well, didn't get his comeuppance. He too deserved a few bullets, or a dozen, maybe a beheading, or getting exploded. Something. I'm thinking that even if you're gonna get all artsy like this, you still need to not let your audience down on that score. So hmmph.

I loved the film. The visuals, the music, the acting, everything. I love the fact it is open for interpretation due to the complexity of the story. I know there were some people that did not like it, but I thought it was great. I liked Primer, but this took things up a notch. It's now on DVD and Blu-ray. I got mine a few days ago. I'm very impressed by the GH2 also. If I was told the film was shot on a Red Epic or Arri-Alexa, I would believe you.

Finally saw it the other day. I've not been affected so heavily by a film in a long time, i completely lost myself in it, it was fantastic.

I liked it. It's pretty interesting, though unconventional.

I guess the biggest problem I have with it is that
the bad guy who date raped, fleeced, and mind frelled her, and presumably the others as well, didn't get his comeuppance. He too deserved a few bullets, or a dozen, maybe a beheading, or getting exploded. Something. I'm thinking that even if you're gonna get all artsy like this, you still need to not let your audience down on that score. So hmmph.

In response to this - I think that was kinda the point. That's not how life works. He speaks interestingly about this scene in the podcast mentioned above (of which the presenter is kinda annoying and seems to miss a lot of the point of the film).

Really like Carruths Welles-esq multirole/control freak approach to his films.

Actually, I was going to say the opposite and that I'm glad he didn't go down the same route as with Primer by trying to do it all himself. This time he did it right and hired an experienced professional sound designer during pre-production and an experienced professional sound editor/re-recording mixer during post, and it really shows, the sound in Upstream Color is in a completely different league to Primer!

Sound Design people take note: there are moments in this film the likes of which have not been on screen since The Conversation. A bold statement, I know, and I won't go into spoilers. Suffice to say that it was awarded a Special Jury Prize for Sound Design at Sundance.

The sound design was certainly good commercial quality but not outstanding. I think they did an excellent job considering the number of personnel in the audio team though. Not sure I would have given it a special prize, but I haven't heard the full surround mix so maybe it was warranted. The sound design in Upstream Color is much more obvious than in most other films because in places it's integral to the story and because the film has very little dialogue on which to focus. So it may just be that the panel were more aware of the sound design in this film than in any of the others.

G

Back