• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Upgrading from CS3

Well i just had a nice little surprise...

Back in 2002 when i bought my first Macbook my friend gave me a copy of Premiere CS3, i must have transfered it from my laptop to my iMac when i bought my new imac a couple of years ago...

I have always used Final Cut, but found this little gem on my machine today....

i would love to know if there is anyway i can just upgrade to CS4 or CS5/5.5 from this current version? obviously it would save me a lot of money to upgrade rather than buy a whole new pack...

I'm pretty sure you can. The CS5.5 upgrade from CS3 costs a little more than CS4-CS5.5. It's a question of licensing though. If the person you bought the MacBook from pirated the copy or installed it on another machine and upgraded it, then your serial probably wouldn't work. I'm like 98% sure that Adobe justs asks for the machine ID or serial or the combo when activating the upgrade license, not like the old days of having to have the old software installed so the new software will install on top of it.

yeah that's the problem, i don't know where the original copy came from, he just loaded it on my comp when i first bought it....

I don't want to do anything dodgy or illegal, but the version i have is fully working etc

How do i find the serial number for the version?

Adobe online chat support is great in this regard, they will help you through the licensing swamp..

if your any kind of student, academic pricing is better for the whole suite.
Is your "spouse" or "child" a student?

Back