tv Update on my new TV show idea?

Alright what do I Do? I pitched this idea to some LA producers, and they wrote back saying they liked the idea, what can I do from here so they don't try and steal it. Or do i just go with the flow and see what happens? Here's a link to what they posted on this website. http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/tfr/53802520.html

P.S if you don't know the idea just read the first post of this thread. http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=5373 Also they asked if I was engaged in shooting this right now, before we move on any further.

Did you have the producer(s) sign non-disclosure documents? There really isn't anything you can do to protect and idea. Scrips can be copyright but ideas cannot. I don't know how this works for TV show ideas though - my guess is the same. I don't have much experience in this area. I'm sure Clive can give you some good tips!

No i haven't signed anything yet, i figured I really couldn't do anything about it, just hope they don't run with it. Thanks for the comment.

This stuff is ALWAYS unpredictable. It could be awesome (as in the show is made and you get credit and money), aweful (they rip off your idea and give you no credit), or sort of bad (they get your hopes up and then decide not to make the show).

I think more often than not you won't actually get your idea stolen, but you never know. I would keep in contact with those producers and if they screw up; sue 'em...or threaten to.

What Shaw said is right: you can't copyright an idea...but if you are truly wronged, chances are you may actually get to sue and win anyway...just look at that crazy lady that sued (or is still suing...I don't know) the wachowski brothers.

So what I would do is trust them (unless you get a feeling that you shouldn't). It's your call, though.

Vegas, since you obviously have gotten the producers interested, your next move could be to make yourself indespensable...develop some scripts and plotlines, things that can cement your position with them. Plus, as mentioned before, you CAN protect scripts, so if you develop several scripts that encompass the most obvious series of shows, you can improve your stance. Just some thoughts...

Just wanted to give you guys another update. I'm still chatting with theses producers. I'm working on producing an animation for my show Idea, i have someone on it right now so i hope he can finish it soon. They keep emailing me saying they really want to pitch this and get it on the air. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed. i'll let you guys know what happens once the pitch goes through. Thanks again.

Back