Unlikely filmmaker

I'm fifteen and in Hong Kong.

I had an account here but decided to move to this one permanently. I realise that it's highly unlikely I'll end up in a film occupation in the future, but surely spending time on this when I'm still young should be fine. I really doubt I'll get too much out of this interest but I love doing it and that's why I'm here.

I started becoming interested in the art of filmmaking (that's directing, screenwriting, cinematography,..etc.) around three years ago. I have written about two informal screenplays since then and three short film screenplays. The two informal ones were the first ones which really served no purpose other than for amusement. All my knowledge from writing come from reading books. And as a result I have written the other three scripts.

The first screenplay I directed and produced into a seven minute long short film a year ago. I'll be honest, it wasn't something extraordinary and I only think of it now as a film that tested my camera usage skills. The people who enjoyed it were the ones that were being nice. But at the same time, the film's message wasn't clear in the story. Only a few people realized the main character was living in her own world, and everyone she meets and knows is made up. If that wasn't known to the viewer, they would only view it as a short film showcasing few scenes of a girl conversing with strangers.

Here's a link if you're interested (it was posted before, on my previous account).

My second and third screenplay are more recent, and I had plans to film the third one. However, due to my lack of time, it has been shelved and will wait until I have more time on my hands. I believe it's a step up from my first film and I really can't wait to get it shot.

I really do like screenwriting. But I'm interested in all the other aspects too. When I make short films I tend to take on almost every job besides from acting. And I think that's what's pulling me away from focusing on one specific area such as directing and writing. One thing I can't stand though is overly cliche and overused plots. To me, only films with unique storylines and strong characters should be made. So I try to write my screenplays as original as possible. I also love plot twists and believe that characters make up a good proportion of the story.

I won't mind sharing my most recent screenplay if anyone is at all interested. Just tell me.

I have yet to work on a story I desire most because the screenplays I write, I plan to film as well. Locations and actors are extremely limited, so I have to work within those boundaries. Though I try to make the best out of it.

And that's me.

Last edited:
Jeremy, I watched that link and I think you show a lot of talent. Sure, there were some sound issues (mismatched backgrounds when crosscutting between characters), but your shots are pretty solid and you have a strong sense about how they cut together in a sequence. Your writing and characters show some real maturity.

I suggest hooking up with a composer, as music can really add more depth, as well as smooth out things like narration. I think you have a future in filmmaking, if you apply yourself. Keep making thse shorts and keep improving. Best of luck!

Thank you for that, and the suggestion as well. I'm not talented when it comes to music and for my last project, I worked with a friend of mine who's more skilled in that area. Unfortunately we didn't get the time to start filming.

I can't wait to film something; most of the stuff I do now are strictly for school educational purposes, but no rule says that I can't get stuff out of those projects.

I can't wait to film something; most of the stuff I do now are strictly for school educational purposes, but no rule says that I can't get stuff out of those projects.

Exactly. Keep making shorts and learning the craft. You seem to have a natural knack, already.

Back