Underground locations in Southern California

Hey folks,

I'm making a music video for a popular electronic music duo, and I have started looking for locations. I'm looking in LA and also within an hour or so of Los Angeles, like Ventura, Ojai, etc. I am looking for subterranean type of locations, like tunnels or enormous basements with concrete, pipes or other industrial features. The idea involves a security cyborg being awakened in an ancient bunker/vault. I would need a large space, as I want to make it seem like a labyrinth.

There are some tunnels that run underneath downtown Los Angeles, tons of them. They are used by city workers to get around, and they were designated as emergency hideaways during the cold war. I believe they run from the Hall of Records to City Hall, and to other buildings. I already have spoken with these folks, and they allow filming down there, but I would have to go through the FILM LA permitting process, which will require me to buy at least 2 different insurance policies, pay for permits, probably a fire marshal, police, etc. Any time I deal with FILM LA as an independent filmmaker, they rake me over the coals.

Anyone have ideas for a similar location as the LA tunnels? Here they are for reference:
https://strayngerranger.com/underneath-la-civic-center-tunnels/

A friend had suggested stuff like a close down Pepsi plant in Ventura, or old factories, because she thinks there will be basements with concrete and piping/machinery, etc. I'm sure a variety of subterranean places would work, just a matter of insurance and fees. I'm really looking for a low/no budget idea. For example, back in Virginia where I'm from, there are steam tunnels that are out of use and permits cost zilch out there. Permission is so much easier. I know there is some place like that near Los Angeles, any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cameron

Back