• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Ultra 16 versus Super 16 costs?

Hi! I'm a newbie to the forum. Can anyone tell me what they have paid for the Ultra 16 conversion for their Bolex? What is the difference in costs between Super 16 and Ultra 16 for a conversion. I heard that the Super 16 is about $700.00. It would seem that the Ultra 16 should be much lower. Any help appreciated.

Wild Bill

You know Ultra 16 sounds fantastic but I have read and heard that no post house will touch it. It obviously requires a different gate, and that may not be something they want to touch.

I've had both my Bolex EBM and my Russian K3 modified to Ultra16. I was able to take the gates out myself, print out some pictures from the web, take the gates to a local machinist, and get them both modified for less than $100 total for both.

The only downside here is of course the viewfinder not being modified to Ultra16. Of course Super16 is the more accepted in the industry but there are a few transfer houses that can handle Ultra16. From what I understand, there is a Sony telecine that can zoom in on any part of the 16mm frame i.e., Ultra, Super, or regular.

I have yet to get any footage telecined although I have shot some with the Bolex. Shooting by taking into consideration what's on each side of your frame isn't difficult at all...

I've always thought this was a great way to keep old 16mm cameras updated for a really low cost...

If you don't feel like you can take out the gate yourself, it shouldn't be more than $300 to $400 to have an actual camera repair facility do it for you. I checked on it myself about a year and a half ago and the cost wasn't that much although I don't remember where I checked... I know I checked several places and the cost varied from $300 to $400.

Check out the following web site for more information:

http://www.cameraspro.com/ultra16cameraspro.html --This site just explains Ultra16 a little more to those of you who aren't familiar with it... CamerasPro mod prices are for the viewfinder as well... Which, I believe is the more expensive part of the modification... Just getting the gate modified is nornally a lot less.

There are plenty of facilities that can do the mod... Just do some research.

filmy

Last edited by a moderator:
Back