• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Typical Broadcast TV

I was approached by an Individual who needs editing of some material for broadcast. I shall chat w/ him and get specifics on specs for delivery. I do not yet know what to expect to deliver ( if I even get the project ) Im thinking HDCAM sr ?? or provide them w/ 1920x1080 mov on a HDD w/ 48khz 16bit audio. Lots of variables yet so...I shall move slowly and see if I can provide what they want. Mostly I need to know the specs and go from there. I have done commercials and no issues providing materials so far. But for a show, Im not sure exactly what is needed . I'm 97% positive if I get the specs for delivery, I can provide.

The material will be recorded w/ a 5D MKII is what I was told. I 'm going to have a followup call w/ the producer and get detailed info on delivery soon. Audio will be several Lav Mics and some boom w/ production notes. I asked if the audio needed post and he did not know, he said they were getting pro audio w/ wirless , mixers and the like, but I need to know if anyone is doing post on the audio or ??? Even the best will need attention to cover up clothing, bumps and whatever along with matching one source to the next.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
W/ commercials Im used to:
H.264
45 Mbps - (CBR)
1080i – 29.97
720P – 59.94
16:9
1920x1080 (1080i) or
1280x720P
4:2:2
Broadcast safe colors

AUDIO:
48 kHz/ 16bit.
Levels may regularly peak to, but should not exceed -20dBFS

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I asked about sound and audio production notes and if they needed audio post production so Im awaiting more info as well.

Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Im thinking 1hr post for every minute of material to start. I shall not commit myself until I see some examples of their material and fully understand delivery specs.

Last edited:
Audio specs will vary from broadcaster to broadcaster, and even within networks. For example, Discovery Channel has one set of specs, but the History Channel has different specs - even though both are owned by the same parent corporation.

The only real solid standard is the Dolby LM-100 for metering:

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/professional/hardware/broadcast/test-and-measurement/lm100.html

The software version is becoming more widely used:

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/professional/software/broadcast/dolby-media-meter2.html

SD broadcast standard is 16bit/48kHz, HD broadcast standard is 24bit/96kHz.

You'll have to wade through a lot of stuff, but some very interesting and pertinent info can be found here:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/post...theater-dvd-broadcast-tv-commercials-etc.html

Every network has a different set of standards. They will tell you exactly what you need to deliver when you contact them. Australian FTA television tend to want HDCAM SR with audio nromalised ~-13dB and anywhere from 1-2 minutes of B&T at the start.

Back