• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Two videos at the same time?

Hey everyone,

Since Im doing multiple roles I was wondering how to join two footages (same angle, scene etc.) in Premiere Pro and make them look like they're joined (cropped?) together with me as all the characters. If you take a look at "Norbit" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiELeydh-tw ..you'll see a scene where Eddie Murphy plays both roles but how do they join them?

and also, as you can see at one angle Norbit is next to his wife (which seems to be doable to me) but at one angle he's BEHIND her...how did they accomplish that without overlapping?

Thanks in advance!

search for "Clone" up top and you'll find a couple of threads here already... youtube, filmriot and indymogul also have great tutorials on this (filmriot is my favorite: http://revision3.com/filmriot/cloning ).

Thanks so much! Very useful stuff :) . By the way....
Just in case of overlapping (when one person is behind another and you cant see them fully) I noticed you have to use greenscreen. Im not really sure what is the right approach to this? As in steps? Is it diffucult?

Thanks

Thanks so much! Very useful stuff :) . By the way....
Just in case of overlapping (when one person is behind another and you cant see them fully) I noticed you have to use greenscreen. Im not really sure what is the right approach to this? As in steps? Is it diffucult?

It would also be possible to rotoscope rather than using green screen (this involves drawing round the subject to create a matte, and then animating the matte, sometimes frame by frame) but in most circumstances keying a colour out is the easiest solution.

It's a fairly simple process, but there are still a lot of easy to make mistakes, particularly if you haven't done any effects work before. Let's say we're trying to document a simple conversation between B (the character in the background) and F (the character in the foreground, whose arm overlaps B at some points).

1. Set your camera up, framing for both B and F - stand in people/mannequins/any kind of marker will be useful here. This will be what is called a "locked off" shot in the effects world - nothing should change, including tripod position, pan/tilt, exposure, focal length and focus. If you decide you need to change something halfway through filming, you'll need to start again.

2. Film B doing his dialogue. It may help to have a small marker where F's eyes will be, so that B is looking in the right direction.

3. Set up a green screen between where B was and the camera - it must be positioned so that F cannot overlap B with his arms or anything else. I won't go into too much detail, but the green screen needs to be brightly and evenly lit.

4. Now you need to film F's dialogue. Again, it may help to have a small eyeline marker for where B was sitting.

5. Let's go through the steps on your computer now. You'll need to drag both clips on to the timeline, with B's shot on the bottom and F's shot on the top, and sync them up so the dialogue makes sense.

6. You now need to cut out the useless parts of F's shot - all you want is the green screen and the actor. In After Effects you would use the pen tool to create a matte; if you were doing a rough composite in Final Cut, I'd use a garbage matte.

7. Key out the green screen - the more evenly you lit it, the easier this will be. You should now be able to see B, and F's arms will be able to overlap him.

8. Edit this wide shot together with your close ups!

If you're really keen on getting into digital effects work, I'd would highly recommend buying, reading and re-reading The DV Rebel's Guide by Stu Maschwitz - it explains how to approach this effect and many others with much more clarity than I've managed.

It would also be possible to rotoscope rather than using green screen (this involves drawing round the subject to create a matte, and then animating the matte, sometimes frame by frame) but in most circumstances keying a colour out is the easiest solution.

It's a fairly simple process, but there are still a lot of easy to make mistakes, particularly if you haven't done any effects work before. Let's say we're trying to document a simple conversation between B (the character in the background) and F (the character in the foreground, whose arm overlaps B at some points).

1. Set your camera up, framing for both B and F - stand in people/mannequins/any kind of marker will be useful here. This will be what is called a "locked off" shot in the effects world - nothing should change, including tripod position, pan/tilt, exposure, focal length and focus. If you decide you need to change something halfway through filming, you'll need to start again.

2. Film B doing his dialogue. It may help to have a small marker where F's eyes will be, so that B is looking in the right direction.

3. Set up a green screen between where B was and the camera - it must be positioned so that F cannot overlap B with his arms or anything else. I won't go into too much detail, but the green screen needs to be brightly and evenly lit.

4. Now you need to film F's dialogue. Again, it may help to have a small eyeline marker for where B was sitting.

5. Let's go through the steps on your computer now. You'll need to drag both clips on to the timeline, with B's shot on the bottom and F's shot on the top, and sync them up so the dialogue makes sense.

6. You now need to cut out the useless parts of F's shot - all you want is the green screen and the actor. In After Effects you would use the pen tool to create a matte; if you were doing a rough composite in Final Cut, I'd use a garbage matte.

7. Key out the green screen - the more evenly you lit it, the easier this will be. You should now be able to see B, and F's arms will be able to overlap him.

8. Edit this wide shot together with your close ups!

If you're really keen on getting into digital effects work, I'd would highly recommend buying, reading and re-reading The DV Rebel's Guide by Stu Maschwitz - it explains how to approach this effect and many others with much more clarity than I've managed.

Thanks for that whole explanation! :) .. regarding keying out the colour.. I'd really like to try that out! Could you explain how do I pull that off or give me some sort of link to it? Im searching youtube, cant seem to find anything..

Thanks

Sometimes the 'overlapping' shots don't use SFX but a stand-in.
Offcourse this can only be done when one of the faces isn't really visible (for example when shot overshoulder during a conversation).
The stand-in has the same build and same clothes and haircut: this way you can suggest overlapping the 'same' actor without spending a lot of time with compositing.

Back