tv TV vs Film

Okay here's a topic of debate. Is it me or is US TV far better at the moment than US film?

With Battlestar, The Sheild, Prison Break, 24 and other high quality shows I'm finding myself watching more TV than ever and less films.

So thoughts?

I still view them as seperate, when TV is done right.

HBO pioneered the new TV with the Sopranos in 1999, making TV shows more cinematic and theatrical. Basically using TV as a platform for feature films tyle motion picture storytelling, but more of a longform storytelling. Like a cinematic novel.

24 originated as a one time only, one season show, like a mini series event, only not mini. Now it's in it's 5th season & hasn't lost much of it's edge. Then there's the terrifying LOST, and I don't mean their content. I mean their intent. Are they just going along with whatever happens to seem cool at the time with no long term story? I shudder to think that we might have another X-files on our hands. A tradgicly dissatisfying opportunity to tell a long for m story that gets sidetracked by the need to keep making as much profit as the concept can sell with less regard for a payoff and good storytelling than cashing a check on a setup that never ends.

British TV is still the best (at times). They treat every show like it's ROME (an HBO and BBC combo production, by the way). THE OFFICE was limited to two series (Brits call a season of television a series) and a holiday special. SPACED, the precursor to SHAUN OF THE DEAD (same director and writer/actor) only had 2 series (I re-iterate seasons to the Americans), each only 7 episodes of 30 minute episodes. It had a start and a finish. They wrote all the episodes BEFORE pre-production and shot them all before airing a single one. It's some of the most cinematic and amazing television there is.

I wish story were more important to more TV producers....

I only watch 4 TV shows. THE OFFICE (American), 24, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, and LOST. I sure hope LOST is going somewhere...

This is all opinion so I'll voice mine.
I think it depends on what you're looking for. Television (done well) tends to be more developed because it has to fit into a long term storyline. The audience tends to be more aware of the character's motivation because they see all these new facts and backstory build as the series goes. Viewers tend to then expect the characters to behave a certain way and if they don't it becomes less rewarding for your audience.

Movies on the other hand have to rely more on action. I don't mean action like cars blowing up, action can be anything that moves the story along- dialogue, visuals, music, action... it all has to move the characters forward to a single climactic point. The characters tend to be less overdeveloped and it leaves a lot of the backstory to the imagination.

A lot of people are attracted to the long term commitment of television. It's sort of a vicarious experience of living out the lives of the characters. I prefer the punch of movies, it's more exciting to me to wonder how the characters will react rather than expect them to react a certain way.

As far as the quality goes, there's always somewhat of a gap because a crappy series won't last past the first half-season. Most series are developed with the idea to "sell".
Films are often developed to sell, but still have more of an artistic driven motivation. I think this is why a lot of movies get pushed through production by artists "expressing themselves" and come out as garbage because they are never scrutinized and made better (new world is a good example).

I wish I had time to watch more TV, but it's 24 - a must see for me.. .and we watch Survivor as a family.
I like Lost but never get a chance to see it, and I like Surface too.

I'm too busy with all of my other projects it's crazy!

First, there were theatres. TV came along in the 40's and the theatres had to spice things up.

It's been a battle for decades. No one's ever been the winner. There's been times that there's something good in the theatre and vice versa.

At this time, television is offering a lot of good shows while the local theatre is showing Bewitched and Bloodrayne.

Next summer, everyone will be saying how new theatrical films are making TV look bad.

This will go on forever.

CootDog said:
I wish I had time to watch more TV, but it's 24 - a must see for me.. .and we watch Survivor as a family.
I like Lost but never get a chance to see it, and I like Surface too.

I'm too busy with all of my other projects it's crazy!

Fortunatly most shows are ending up on DVD within months of the season ending so you can watch at your convenience and without commercials :yes:

Of course whenever the most recent episode of LOST comes up in a conversation I am reminded that I have to what untill August before I get a new episode. Plus avoiding spoilers is sport all its own.

Older television has always seemed more entertaining to me. The way they shot shows like "The Monkees" with the rapid focus and zooming in.

The Mod Squad was a good TV show to watch as well. And I always though shows like "The streets of San Francisco" and Hawaii 5-0 had a slight Movie feel to them. Of course we're talking movies from the 1960s and 70s. Then again, they shot those TV series on actual film.

I've never seen an entire episode of 24. I saw parts of the pilot but got bored. I've seen sapranos and I liked how its shot but Im not into violent films much. But it is well done. I have to admit, I always though Sex and the City was just a sleezy show that used sex for ratings. But once I actually started watching a few shows, I found myself drawn into it. there isnt to much to the storyline of the show, but I like how its narrated.

Im really disapointed with the films being made today. I have found myself wanting to get up and leave during several movies. I was really disapointed at the film "Matador". It wasnt funny at all. It was pretty sad. I hate it when they use trailers to give you the impression the film is more comedy and it turns out to be more drama based. I think Jarhead and Fun with Dick and Jane were the last 2 decent films I have seen in a while. I would love to afford a nice projector and just sit home and watch movies. I dont have a big house and dont really have the wall space for a decent size projection. Would be nice.

mrde50 said:
Next summer, everyone will be saying how new theatrical films are making TV look bad.

This will go on forever.

Oh I doubt it. I really do. Even this Summers big films look unimpressive for the most part

As for UK TV. See I guess because I'm in the UK I see the dross we produce and for the most part hate UK television (The Office and a few random shows excluded!).

A question.

Many people believe (including me) that DVD is killing the theatre. Why fight traffic to go to a stuffy, loud, expensive theatre when you can watch DVD in your home and your convienience?

What if a filmmaker said "There would be no DVD release", only to get the box office grosses up and then to release it on DVD anyway saying "Due to popular demand..."

I've yet to see a filmmaker dare to attempt this. Would this lie be a career killer, or smart marketing campaign?

I think it would be career killing. DVD is the future. People can make cinemas in their own. Who needs to go and (insert my usual cinema rant here)....

mrde50 said:
A question.

Many people believe (including me) that DVD is killing the theatre. Why fight traffic to go to a stuffy, loud, expensive theatre when you can watch DVD in your home and your convienience?

What if a filmmaker said "There would be no DVD release", only to get the box office grosses up and then to release it on DVD anyway saying "Due to popular demand..."

I've yet to see a filmmaker dare to attempt this. Would this lie be a career killer, or smart marketing campaign?

I read somewhere that the Box office only breaks even with the costs of film making. 95% of profits are made through DVD sales world wide. much of it in the US alone. Even during the golden era of Theatre the movie studios didnt make anything near what they started to when VHS were being released for purchase and rentals.

Truth is, with new technology coming out and home theatre systems becoming more and more affordable with cheaper projectors and screens, people will just create their own home theatre systems. As long as the have the wall space. I think so much so that most theatres will have to close down do to overhead cost. There will always be people who will want to go out to the movies, but the truth is, I dont see many movie houses making it in the near future unless they come up with some kind of new theme. Like Part theatre and part resteraunt or Bowling Alley.

King Goldfish said:
I dont see many movie houses making it in the near future unless they come up with some kind of new theme. Like Part theatre and part resteraunt or Bowling Alley.
Wow. This is a thread of itself. The combinations of theatre and [insert something else here] are limitless.

Unless they come up with some sort of new gimmick, they're digging they're own grave.

mrde50 said:
Wow. This is a thread of itself. The combinations of theatre and [insert something else here] are limitless.

Unless they come up with some sort of new gimmick, they're digging they're own grave.

Laundrymat!!!!! I would never dread laundry day again!!! Throw in Pizza and Beer!!! OOO I would die a happy man... with clean underwear.

Back