Trying to set a goal.

It was only this year I decided I wanted to be a movie maker. I am 27 years old so I'm starting out kind of late on learning everything since I just started a few months ago. But I don't want to be one of those late starters, who doesn't get around to making anything serious until they are 40 and older. Nothing wrong with that, but I feel like I want to get a career path going at a younger age, instead of working the odd seven eleven type jobs, most of my life, until I finally try to break in, with something real.

I would like to make my first feature in the next few years, cause I would like to attempt a career in film by the time I'm 30. I feel that is a fair age without aiming too fast, since most other people have already started out in what profession they want to be in by the time they are 30, and most even before that.

So I've decided to keep on learning and practicing now, and aim to make my first feature in 2014 at the latest. That way it won't be too late, and I don't have to wait till I'm near middle age before I do it. Is this too soon of a goal to set for myself cause I feel it's a fair amount of ample time, especially since time goes by so fast, in the film learning world, and you gotta work fast to get it done, if you become a filmmaker while still young. I don't want to wait till I'm like 35 or 40 before I make a film, while my future wife, has already had maybe 10 years working in her career, by that time for example. The people I met so far in the business are my age and have already had more filmmaking jobs already, and have built more of a career, so I feel aiming for 2014 is not asking too much.

What do you think, fair goal?

Last edited:
Okay. But in a lot of movies the houses are lit too dark though. Should I really not have the ceiling light on, even though a person normally would in a house at night. I guess I could not, but my first instinct is that it will come off as fake looking. Not that won't do it. I appreciate the advice. I just got to get the hang of imagining a realistic scene, with no lights on the ceiling. Right now I only have lamps but will see what I can get.

Another thing I like in movies is the film noir look some movies have where people are in shadow, and the sun is shining through the drapes, putting them in shadow. I think this would be a cool noir-ish look for that short I wanna do, but will that scream amatuer for a first timer, compared to a more accomplished director who can stylistically get away with it?

You're far too focused on things looking "realistic". Realistic is the handycam footage Dad shoots on Christmas morning. Nobody finds that footage visually appealing, it's only useful for the memories it conjures for people who watch it. As a DP you are an artist; The light is your paintbrush. The best paintings aren't realistic, but they are beautiful and captivating.

If you're lacking stuff to shoot, volunteer. Work with schools, organizations, churches. They all need free video and you need free people to stand in front of a camera, win win.

Local high school doing a play? Offer to shoot it. 5K for charity coming up? Shoot it and behind the scenes stuff. I can tell you that EVERY youth group in existence would love a video guy to shoot their drama videos.

They're not the videos you want to be making right now, I mean none of those places will probably feature someone being raped or tortured, but you learn regardless.

One more thing... If you're dead set on making movies, I mean a rabid bear couldn't chase you off track (which is how set you need to be) but no one in the middle of nowhere town you're in wants to and there's zero opportunity like your other posts have said... Move. Doesn't need to be LA or anything, but man somewhere bigger. Shoot, you're Canadian, go to Torronto. Everything is filmed there. If the situation is honestly holding you back, change the situation.

Thanks. I can't offer to shoot many plays or anything with my camera, cause my T2i will overheat after like 15 minutes, so anything where I have to shoot in live in public for that long without being able to yell cut is pretty much out, unless they are willing to supply a different cam. I will get a better cam in the future probably. I have done sound recording for a wedding ceremony with my equipment so far, and that turned out well.

Here: download Premiere Elements to edit this first short. It'll do everything you need as a beginner, and the interface isn't terribly different from Premiere Pro (just more limited), so you won't need to relearn a bunch of stuff when your software gets here: http://www.adobe.com/products/premiereel/ Just click on the "Try" link and you'll be able to get a 30-day trial.

Seriously, use Windows Movie Maker or iMovie if nothing else is available to you. Get a rough cut done to show everyone, at the very least.

Thanks I'll get on that and edit next week for sure. I'll use that link you sent me. I know most here are saying that most macs come with Imovie but mine did not for some reason.

How's this shot to learn from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIvKlfGzqPQ&feature=player_embedded#!

Last edited:
The thought has occurred to me just how incredible this thread is -- think about the following phrase:

"Trying to set a goal".
Give it a minute.
Let it sink in.
Anything seem strange about that phrase?
Any ideas? Okay, here's the problem with it -- the thing about goals is that they can be difficult to attain. Merely setting a goal is easier than farting. If you have difficulty setting a goal, the actual accomplishment will never happen.

Sure, some may see my commentary as a smart-ass remark that boils down to nothing more than semantics. Yet, I'm being completely serious. If you want to do anything, you'd better understand that this first step -- setting a goal, is quick and easy, and very necessary. Setting a goal is like Yoda would tell you -- there is no try. You do, or do not!

Set a goal! Now!!!

Even "realism" isn't real in films. In some ways realism is harder to achieve than the artificial constructs of outer space or dreams.

Filmmaking is the art of illusions. One reason is that the equipment used - no matter how sophisticated - cannot duplicate reality. In order to duplicate reality the film would have to be shown on all four walls, the floor and the ceiling, and would be in believable 3-D, not the overly emphasized artificial look that 3-D currently has. The same applies to sound. Although 15.2 surround begins to come close to "realistic" sound, we still capture sounds individually and then manipulate and place them in the surround field to simulate the real world. And, as has been pointed out, reality is boring. The dialog must be captured cleanly and presented so that it is intelligible. All other sounds are individually created to give emotional impact, and then mixed to heighten the drama, humor or excitement of the moment. And, lets face it, there isn't an orchestra following us around to add emotion to our lives.

Let me get this started. These are brand-new goals, and I am setting them, right now.

#1. I will have completed my second feature film by the end of next year, and it will have top-notch production quality.

#2 Before I die, I will make mad, passionate love to Halley Berry.

Those are real goals, and I do mean to achieve both of them. Now, for the tricky part...

harmonica -- care to set a goal or two? In your next post?

Thanks. I can't offer to shoot many plays or anything with my camera, cause my T2i will overheat after like 15 minutes, so anything where I have to shoot in live in public for that long without being able to yell cut is pretty much out,

Any play is going to have scene changes. That's where you can put the breaks in your recordings.

Ten years ago that would have been a fantastic goal. At this point, though, she's getting older. If you see her without all the movie makeup I'm not convinced you'd really even want to. She's 45 now, let's say it takes you 5 years to gain enough fame to actually meet her and then woo her into bed. Do you really want to sleep with 50 year old Halle?

Let me get this started. These are brand-new goals, and I am setting them, right now.

#1. I will have completed my second feature film by the end of next year, and it will have top-notch production quality.

Those are real goals, and I do mean to achieve both of them. Now, for the tricky part...

harmonica -- care to set a goal or two? In your next post?

K I will set a goal. I will complete my first feature film by 2014.

Or how about you finish your first short by next month. Then make another, and one more and then decide whether film making is for you, because by the sounds of all your excuses, it's not.

Just go with the flow on this FIRST project and see what happens, even if it's a fail.

Let's get to the bottom of things: why do you want to make movies?

BTW, lot's of responses remind me of a post of 1,5 month ago:
Stop trolling, start shooting!

Oh wait, let me give you just a few extra reasons why you never could finish your genius feature:
- You are not sure what insurance you need
- You are waiting till they fix rolling shutter in CMOS
- You are afraid to let actors rehearse your script, because they could leak it
- You want a shot from outerspace, but unfortunately the Space Shuttle Program got cancelled last week (and you don't speak Russian)
- You can't decide: tungsten, kinoflow or LED (and no: LED is not a cheap Chines RED-ripoff)
- You want to blow up a car, but you only got 1 car: can it be done in 1 take? Or what paint can you use to disguise the fact it took 3 takes to get it right?
- You are unsure your actor is fit for the part: it's the first time he plays this particulair part
- You don't know what ISO means on your Rebel
- You couldn't find the perfect shortcut to fame and succes on Indietalk
- You can't decide which software to use
- You couldn't get enough followers on Twitter to hype your project

Maybe you should spend less time on the internet and start living: meet real people, make friends, have fun and experience the good and bad things in life. Maybe that will make you understand that you can actually cope with situations that aren't perfect and that you can and must improvise your way through life. Once you figured that out, you can improvise to get your short shot as well.

You're right. I just met a DP who said he'll do it, and his previous shorts look pretty good. And I will meet the actors next week, at the auditions, for a start. And I showed everyone the script.

I swear all harmonica's posts are just a publicity stunt, because now, we all know when he actually does post anything decent in the screening room, everyone on this forum will swarm to see what he has produced.

Last edited:
How about complete your first short by 2012?

Alcove, you beat me to it.

harmonica, if you're going to set a BIG goal (which I fully support), in order to make that BIG goal happen, you have to set a number of smaller goals that all build up to the bigger one.

For example, relating to my goal of finishing my second feature, by the end of next year, I'm going to set a new goal, right now -- I will complete the 1st rough draft of the screenplay, by mid-November.

Same thing applies for you. Now, of course you should be writing the 1st rough draft of the screenplay, but since you're new to filmmaking in general, I think you'd agree that you also need to learn how to do the camera side of stuff, no? So, perhaps your first smaller goal should be related to learning the basics.

As in -- I will shoot, and edit, my first complete short film, by...

Ha, man I sure do see a lot of party poopers here.

If you have no one to shoot, here is what I would do: check craigslist for groups in your area and see if any refer to video production and contact them, figure out what you could possibly shoot with just you in the screen, buy a green screen on amazon as a LOT can be created from such and are as cheap as $30 for a 10' x 12', if lighting is an issue buy clamp lights for $6 each and use those, and if I recommended watching anything to get ideas it would have to be Film Riot on youtube. They can offer you a lot of practical ways to shoot scenes and are very enjoyable to watch.

A lot of videos I have created and posted on youtube are simple nothing videos really, but just a great way to play with the look of a scene and practice. I myself don't have anyone on hand to just shoot, I have to wait and see when friends are available and hope they are good to make something...which is practically never. Don't give up though, for some people its harder to just "start shooting" then others might think because in your mind you may be saying, "whatever I shoot needs to be awesome." But you may not ever think or shoot anything like that so you don't shoot at all.

A strange trick I came up with was listening to some music by Kevin MacLeod, as its creative commons and free to use. While your listening to it, just think to yourself, what would look visually good with what I am listening too right now? How could I portray the emotion of the song with random shots of things? Example, kinda of tense music/creepy you could shoot slowly moving down a hallway towards a door and its kind of dark, using a computer chair as a glider/steadicam for the shot. Once you get a bunch of different shots mix them in with the song so they flow. Hopefully this makes sense and perhaps helps other people get started shooting things.

Good luck!

Back