Trying to get a specific look

I am shooting a short for school using DV and need a grainy looking picture, I also want it to be black and white, and there is a dream sequence.

My question is to get the grainy look should I shoot under low light or just use effects in post production?

For the dream sequence can I use a diffusion filter? How about if I slow down the shutter speed will that help.

The best thing to do for black and white is to shoot in color and change it in post production right?

I’ll probably be berated for this, but this is my best suggestion without knowing the details.

I personally think you should do all image manipulation in post. You can play with different options and if you don’t like what you’re getting you can wipe the slate clean and start fresh with an unadulterated picture. On the other hand, there are a few things you can easily do in camera that are very hard to do in post, but you’re stuck with what you’ve got.

A DP would probably have more in camera ticks, and an editor would know more post tricks than I would.

Back