Tripod

Hey everyone. Okay so I bought the T3i Monday. So far I like it a lot but I still have a lot to learn to get the most out of it. Today I bought a tripod. Manfrotto compact series. I bought it because I heard they are good. Well this one isn't that good. I was planning on returning it and getting Best Buy's brand Dynex. What are some good tripods for beginners? Thanks

Does it move smoothly? Cause the one I bought is jerky. And I wasn't trying to spend that much on a tripod right now. But if I have to spend that to get a smooth motion then I will. Thanks! Also is Magnus B&H Brand?

It's smooth but you can spend $600+ on heads so its subjective. A $600+ head would obviously be very smooth. But its served us very well.

As far as I am aware, Magnus is not a B&H Brand. Do a google, you can buy them in many places.

The tripod ChimpPhobiaFilms recommends looks very good too.

I found a really nice fluid head tripod at a flea market for $5. I couldn't tell you the brand or anything about it other than it's a fluid head that works pretty dang well. So maybe you can keep an eye out for flea markets or something?

Hi DesperadoMan - something you might want to take into consideration - the Davis & Sanford tripod in the eBay auction doesn't look like it comes with quick release plates.

Another consideration is max load. This tripod's max load is 18lbs. Your T3i may not come close to overstressing it, but you may want to buy or rent a bigger camera in the future, in which case you'll want something more robust.

I have the $140 Ravelli AVTP, which comes with 2 Manfrotto compatible quick release plates and has a 27 lb max load capacity. As others have said, this is a terrific tripod, built-like a tank, but light enough to carry easily.

If $140 is more than you want to spend, you can get a $125 Fancier-branded version of the same tripod.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

Back