• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Transitioning from rough to shooting draft

Reading my rough draft, i can't help noticing there are things missing from it that shouldn't be and other things that i intend to go back and change with more scenes, even though that means more pages (strangely enough, i want my feature film to only be 96 minutes long).

I'm more than ready to put in the new ideas i have for the film script and those few new scenes to enhance the story a bit better but you know what will be really annoying? "CONTINUED" will have to be at the start of a new page when the previoys page ends in the middle of dialogue sequence, the scene headers have to be numbered at both sides and then if a "(MORE)" and "(C'ont" will end and start a dialogue piece when there is a page break in the middle of a dialogue piece, and if my edotor reads my script and have to go back and make changes, i don't want him to have to go back and move everything back where it should be. I'm using Microsoft Word to write my script.

What would you guys suggest?

Yep. Re-write into Celtx, let it help you out with the formatting.

Celtx, it is then.

That is strange. Why 96 minutes? Does it have to be exactly 96 minutes?

*under my breath* I knew I'd get called out on that sooner or later.

Maybe it's just me but movies, for me, feel at their perfect length when it's in the 90-minute range.

Six is one of my lucky numbers.

And "Yelling to the Sky", another indie feature, had a runtime of 96 minutes.

And no, it doesn't have to be EXACTLY 96 minutes. Hell, if it's 98 minutes, I'll let it go. But if EVERYTHING is in this film that I want to be and it ends up being like... 120-something minutes long, fine! But as much as I'd like 96 to be the alloted runtime, I'd rather it be longer than that and be all I want it to be than for it to be a 96-minute film and be a a regretted, wasted project.

Back