Transcoding DSLR

My DP transcoded the DSLR to ProRes 422 (HQ) which keeps dropping frames in my FCP 6.

He did not give me the DSLR raw footage because we knew that didn't play.

I took the (HS) and transcoded that to simple ProRes 422. It seems to be working.

But, since I transcoded the transcoded, have I lost any noticeable quality? Is this something that you shouldn't do?

While it's not absolute best practice, I would say that with the quality of the source material (48 Mbps H.264 - there's barely any quality loss converting it to ProRes LT) you're very unlikely to see any difference.

It's not LT. The version that works on my computer is simply Pro Res 422. I compress in compressor 3.

I have a problem with LT also. It's past time to upgrade my entire computer. But, I simply can't afford it. I have to get through this movie the best I can. Thankfully the DP is excellent. So, the footage looks great.

Oh, I realise what you've got isn't LT. What I meant was that I've compared DSLR footage converted to LT and regular 422 and they were practically identical - so converting to HQ (which is capable of storing far more data than you can get out of a DSLR) and then back to 422 should be absolutely fine.

If you do want to get the absolute best out of your footage, and still have access to the original files, I'd highly recommend using 5DtoRGB.

Back