suggestion Toxicity in forum

pedramyz

During my 1 year in this forum I've noticed that most of the toxicity in this forum comes from the new comers or as Directoric likes to call them "Drive by posters". The reason is understandable. For a new comer this forum feels like a "Burst bubble station" at first 😅 . and I think this is partly due to the false expectations newcomers have. I admit when I first entered this forum I had a pretty unreasonable expectation from this forum as a writer( You know selling my screenplay, cutting a deal with a producer,etc you get the idea). I think most new comers come to this forum with the same wrong mentality.

I was wondering if something could be done about it. Cause honestly it feels like 70% of the pro's job in this forum is disillusioning ( undeceiving) the said new comers which is not fair and it's a really emotionally draining task. This eventually results in a toxic and even sometimes hostile environment ( which is on the newcomer by the way).

Maybe if admin made the newcomers to read a paragraph ( like terms of service or whatever) during sign up and giving them a heads up that this place is a community of mostly aspiring filmmakers, writers,etc just like themselves. "Although we have our fair share of professionals here, and although the advice we share can be pretty helpful, we are not a production company. This forum is not filled with managers with clouts to make your dream project come true. We love movies, and we love to share our experiences with each other and hopefully learn from each other." Or something like that :).

Last edited:

richy

Hey, man. I love you, pedramyz. I for one really appreciate your heartfelt post on this. Very thoughtful.

It's true; there are few posts by a few posters that sometimes make me cringe. Do you have to be so hostile, snarky, or negative? I ask myself.

But you know, sometimes, I think, we do also need to hear the truth, as wily as the truth can be, or perhaps the "truth" as other members see it.

And I think the relatively few examples of "toxicity" are on the posters, not on IT. On a healthy and vibrant forum there needs to be some level of free will and freedom of expression. The more IT is a free speech forum, the more I, for one, will appreciate it.

It's difficult for me to believe how long I've been hanging out on this forum. How time flies. A decade? I think it may be closer to a decade and a half.

Anyway. I want to say how impressed I am with how relatively low the toxicity on IT has been. I'm living proof, I would say. I wouldn't be here still if that weren't the case.

Hmmmm. I don't think a TOS thing is called for, respectfully. Perhaps, a sticky. I have noticed that other forums use stickies. Perhaps you could persuade IT to use a sticky. I won't express an opinion on that other than: it may be awkward.

I would, however, urge you and others to compare IT to other social media platforms. I think IT compares very favorably in terms of civility. <3

Last edited:

pedramyz

of course man. I never meant to imply that IT is a toxic place. This is the only forum I am part of. I've checked out other forums and I didn't even care much for the community going on in these forums to even sign up for them. This is more like an attempt to deal with the already rare toxic posters here. Maybe not a TOS, but a pop-up warning after first sign in, explaining something like what I said. I think this will prepare the new comers mentally and adjust their expectations accordingly.

niune

Um do you actually think a paragraph or short notice before signing up is going to help ? That's equal to the terms of agreement you just tick off without glancing at them because the type of people that act that way are still going to act that way. 🤔

pedramyz

yeah you are probably right about that. But I think with this thing at least the number of drive by posters is going to decrease. We get so many people here who just join, drop their contents in the forum without any introductions and leave. It feels like a mass marketing or mass advertising sometimes :) .Not mistaking this forum with a production company is going to automatically decrease the number of these drive by posters and ofcourse give the new comers an accordingly reasonable expectation when joining . I don't think a warning pop-up during the first sign up is like agreeing with TOS. This can be max 2 lines of explanation rather than a page- length terms of service which nobody reads. But you're right if somebody wants to act in that regard I guess nothing is going to stop them. I'm open to any other suggestions about this matter.

If it exists in this forum's software, perhaps a partial solution would be to apply a threshold to new posters, such that they cannot start new threads until they have reached a minimum number of "reactive" posts. On other forums, these kinds of restrictions (not allowed to post images, not allowed to post links, not allowed to create new threads ... ) are ostensibly an anti-spam measure, giving the mods sufficient time to catch and delete fake profiles, but they have the additional effect of encouraging genuine new posters to search, read and react to existing content - a kind of probationary period, you could say, that addresses the yeah-yeah-click-and-agree behaviour described by niune! :deal:

sfoster

Staff member
if you see someone is toxic you can put them on ignore and not click their threads

indietalk

IndieTalk Founder
Staff member
Admin
if you see someone is toxic you can put them on ignore and not click their threads
Or report it in which case the mods can step in and steer it. Remember reporting is anonymous. And we rarely get them so you can help out too.

niune

If it exists in this forum's software, perhaps a partial solution would be to apply a threshold to new posters, such that they cannot start new threads until they have reached a minimum number of "reactive" posts. On other forums, these kinds of restrictions (not allowed to post images, not allowed to post links, not allowed to create new threads ... ) are ostensibly an anti-spam measure, giving the mods sufficient time to catch and delete fake profiles, but they have the additional effect of encouraging genuine new posters to search, read and react to existing content - a kind of probationary period, you could say, that addresses the yeah-yeah-click-and-agree behaviour described by niune! :deal:
Definitely. I've been an admin in forum with rules like that - where you have to reach a certain number of posts before you can create threads, add media or links and it decreased spam content by a big number. However it did affect analytics since member numbers stopped growing as rapidly and activity stats took a hit which might be a problem if owners sell advertisement of sorts. Not sure how this forum operates towards that.

indietalk

IndieTalk Founder
Staff member
Admin
There's toxicity across the net. I'm sure there's a plethora in your Facebook feed this morning. The best course of action here is to report it so we can take a look and help the member out. That "terms of service" you mention that no one will look at, we can talk to them one-on-one about. So next time you see it, say something.

sfoster

Staff member
i would only consider suggesting a restriction like that for IT if we were getting dozens of new member threads a day... i just dont think the traffic is high enough that we need to automate a system.

Scoopicman

Pro Member
indiePRO
I agree with everything Richy said. Some freedom to express, without over-regulation.

perhaps a partial solution would be to apply a threshold to new posters, such that they cannot start new threads until they have reached a minimum number of "reactive" posts.
That would be brilliant! 5 or 10 reactive posts might do it. It would eliminate the drive by spammers, too. Of course, there should be an exception with the "Introduce Your self" thread.

directorik

IndieTalk's Resident Guru
I wish a little paragraph on how to react to advice would work.

I don't think it's toxic to have disagreements. I don't think it's toxic
to argue your point. I don't think it's toxic to be angry at someone
who you feel is bursting your bubble.

I don't believe a written notice will prepare people to hear what they
don't want to hear. It's always upsetting. Some will stick around and
become regular members, most will never return.

There is nothing wrong (in my opinion) with drive-by posters. The
spammers are taken care of quickly by the admins. A drive-by financing
campaign doesn't diminish this forum. A question asked by someone
who never returns doesn't cause any problems. Quite the opposite;
often the question shows up in a search drawing people to indietalk.

IndieTalk is, as far as I know, one of the more prominent filmmaker forums out there for indie filmmakers, and far less "toxic" than other forums out there. The mix of experienced pros, ambitious up-and-comers and newbies is a great asset. Those "drive by" one and done posters are disillusioned when cold hard reality slaps them in the face. The ones who really want to get somewhere will stick around; the rest disappear when no one extols their brilliance. A good teacher - and there are quite a few here at IT - can be absolutely brutal, ripping the student to pieces and then building them back up again, almost like a drill sergeant. If you can't take constructive criticism and heed the words of wisdom and experience you'll never get anywhere in the creative industries.

sfoster

Staff member
Ah one other idea to address this topic.

There is nothing to prevent any of our members from doing a copy/paste of this information.
You could save it in a text file and then whenever a new member comes along.. hit a paste describing what IT is like and the members here, etc.

You see some of our audio professionals do this sort of copy/paste for intro sound kit recommendations

Last edited:
Well going thru recent threads, I'm guessing.. it's me,to whom this "toxicity" is coming from🤦🏿‍♂️.. I'll wear it, I'm not confrontational or problematic. I would suggest listening to the advice of the administrator and blocking me, because..I'm not a "drive by poster".. I'll stay until I have some deal in place or employment.. people fear, what they don't understand!!! Heres to another, 16years of writing your 1st spec script 🍻

Last edited:

Sweetie

If drive bys are dissillusioned by the dose of reality given to them by the pros, give them 5 mins with me.

They'll work out that the others have sugar coated how hard the industry really is.

onebaldman

This seems to be a great forum so far. I've gotten more help here than on Reddit, so there is definitely a wonderful thing to be a part of here.

I was actually a part of a toxic conversation here once. Tried to keep cool, and help as best I could... But at one point, I just had to give up and let someone else take over. And that they did.

Really, that's all you need, is another member on here ready to break it up for you and bring the focus back.