Too dark to fix?

bedroom-02-01.jpg

Hey guys. This is a test shoot and I wanted to know if maybe it could be touched up in post to a reasonable degree. I would like a naturally dark look with strong shadows. I hoped to get away with letting some light in from a window and no other light sources (which is what this is). The room is very dark (like the walls absorb light!). I wanted to know if you guys had any tips before I start messing around with lights for hours. Is it better to have more light and make it darker later if necessary? The camera I am using here is a 1CCD Sony!!!

These cameras don't like the dark, even though I had some fun with it in the dark before. (I was just playing around with it >> http://studiodive.com/video/Hanna_Roxx.mov). Now, however, I want something darker...I only have a few lights ~300W each. If you guys have any tips or advice I would greately appreciate it.

Thanks Shot Renegade,
That's what I planned on doing. Some of the other shots are not as bad...well...not much better either.

That image is just too darn dark. Doing a scene in the dark is one of the hardest things you can do in a movie from a cinematographer's POV. My advice is have some strong source come in as a backlight from the window (this could be a slit of light) o create a rim lighting on your subject and then add some fill light, maybe bounce it off a piece of foam core to put some light on the front of your subject. The fill light could be way under exposed, but would allow the audience to see some detail in the person's face. Play around with you lights.

Scott

What are you editing with? FCP can raise the lighting pretty well, and I say this because I had to do it a few months ago. The picture wasn't perfect, but it was passable...

-- spinner :cool:

Always light well and darken in post. You can create moody, "dark" light effects in post, if you light properly. The way a CCD works results in a lot of electrical noise in the dark areas. Boosting a dark video is going to produce a lot of noise, whereas darkening a lighter video will result in less noise and a cleaner picture, with truer color. Even if you're desaturating to black and white, the noise makes the image look like grainy trash.

Light is your friend!

The locations spinner shoots don't tend to allow that...but blasting the subjects with a cam mounted light will fill in for interviews...ENG style! There are light mounts that offset the light from the centerline of the cam. Still photographers use themn all the time...the light will be much better than shooting with a light straight on...better shadows.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...249&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=search&Q=&ci=653

I was referring to the original post/question from DirectorX. I've had a lengthy discussion with spinner about his situation. His is not an enviable one. I know all of you veterans know how to shoot "night" scenes, but many people shooting their first dark scenes don't realize the trouble you're going to have with CCD noise and lost detail if you actually shoot dark. Whereas, darkening in post does not carry the same risks.

Back