Today...

Poke,

While I've seen a few installation works similiar to this one (Shoes on highway guard rails commemorating drunk driving deaths, etc) the profound sadness of these works never lose their weight. When I see worn shoes I am always reminded of two disparate images of our lifetime....the rooms of shoes from holocaust victims piled in obscene mountains (the worst of times)and the photograph comparing a fossilized footprint of a distant ancestor (in Tanzania) and Armstrong's imprint in the dust on the moon (and the best of times). To me, no other article of human attire conveys the gravity of a life 'lived' as a pair of worn shoes. Thank you for posting your photos and thoughts.

bird said:
...no other article of human attire conveys the gravity of a life 'lived' as a pair of worn shoes.

That's an interesting take. For me this would encompass every small piece of a person's attire (glasses, baseball caps, wrist watch).

Poke

To me, no other article of human attire conveys the gravity of a life 'lived' as a pair of worn shoes. Thank you for posting your photos and thoughts.

I agree with bird, powerful stuff.

I think as a film maker I am always searching for those sybollic moments that tell a deeper and more touching story. The shoe thing is a good one, I already know I'll use it.

The guy who was my first boss as a writer used to say that all good writing is in the details, I know he's right about that. the sentence "It's an average looking room" conveys nothing in comparison with "The room is a shrine to the banal, the fake pine ikea bookcases are neatly lined with row after row of pristine readers digests, the beige sofa is still plastic wrapped and each brown corduroy cushion on it is placed at exactly 45%. On the mantel piece the only decoration, two matching photographs of children, one boy and one girl, both scrubbed too clean and forced into colars that are far too tight. No one ever farted in this room and lived to tell the tale"

Hmm, I think I need to put in some writing time soon, I've had too many weeks recently just doing business stuff.

Back