• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Tips on Effects

Hi, we have a series going called the rogues, and I'll be starting post on the sequel soon, but our effects have been extremely experimental and I'm not sure what I could do to bring out their potential! Anyone have some tips? Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lRqvEFyohA

Last edited:
Look I'm gonna be as polite as I can, I want to see you do well but I feel that in each of your videos the story line is just crap, it's boring and not entertaining, I don't care if you designed the worlds best vfx, if its not interesting then I'm not gonna watch it.

Your effects are nothing more than rip offs, but that's not the problem, the problem is you present them in such boring way.

I'm not attacking you, I'm just telling you the truth.

Work on your script make it excellent, make it interesting, then il enjoy your movie more..

While I agree with 8salacious9, I'll comment on your question:

Your VFX work is decent enough, you get better the more you try and the more you learn. The biggest issue with them all is the giant dissonance between your style of effects and your production design.

Your VFX - Over the top, Hollywood action.
Your Production Design - extremely low budget, you use what you can find.

This makes everything look fake. I'll give you an example:
-Your actors are all young and look like regular joes, yet they act as though they are rough guys with a lot of history in doing some pretty crazy stuff. It doesn't work. Add to that they their cloths are just something to picked up from their closet with a few accessories like a hat and shades, and now you just have an unrelated mess that doesn't let the viewer become immersed in your film

You need to invest more in your characters, you need to be more adventurous about finding locations and not just using the things around you and you need to think about proper art direction.

If these are the guys you have as actors, give them parts that would make more sense to their looks and acting abilities.

When the entire package becomes more plausible, you VFX would start fitting in much better. Also, your VFX style would mix better with the entire film if you would color grade it properly. Give it a different look.

It's good that you are doing this, all you need is to keep at it and you'll get better really fast. Invest as much time in the rest of your departments as you do in VFX. Sometimes all you need is to be creative and you can create some amazing things with nothing.

Good luck.

" the story line is just crap, it's boring and not entertaining"
Your effects are nothing more than rip offs ... the problem is you present them in such boring way.

Twin Cities, don't let these kinds of comments get you down. Many big budget hollywood features suffer from these very same shortcomings (I've worked on some myself). The fact is you had an idea, shot it, cut it together, and asked for advice This puts you miles ahead of most folks. Be proud of what you did, learn from it, and then make another movie.

Back to VFX. There are several things I think you could do that would immediately add some realism to your effects:

- The light/laser effects are too big. Make them way smaller, and use a wider beam/flash to punctuate important moments (2 frames flashes of the big stuff for when the laser fires, or when it impacts something).

- Try to get both characters in the same shot when the laser is being fired. Having stand-alone shots of a guy firing and then cutting to the other guy takes away from the immediacy/urgency to the moment (consider trying an over-the-shoulder, or panning with the laser as it's fired). Cue the actors both to act / react by yelling out 3,2,1, SHOOT!

- Having the shooter recoil his hands as he shoot is a good idea. Do this more; have the other guy look at the laser, see it, and dive out of the way. Also, if the laser misses it's target, it should hit/destroy something else. This demonstrates the consequence of being hit. I'd suggest you stage some plastic garbage cans behind the guy who is being shot at. When he dives out of the way, the garbage cans get knocked down (tie a rope to them).

- Interactive lighting. The laser should illuminate the environment. Yes, this is getting complicated, but you asked for it ;) One way to handle interactive lighting is to un-flag a bright light source to indicate the laser being shot, and then covering it back up when the laser is gone. --- a cheap version of this is to set off a camera flash close to the actor when he shoots, and another when the laser hits something. This can be easily coordinated by calling out the timing during the take (your audio will be unusable because of this, but you'd presumably cover this with some room tone and a laser sound effect.

- Here's a killer, but it does add life to an effect: Move the camera more during FX shots. This involves tracking, possibly 3D tracking/match-moving. But, it allows the VFX plates to have the same dynamic movement as your other production photography.

- Screen direction (Nope this isn't a VFX note, but it is related). I noticed you crossed the line on numerous setups. It sounds like a technical niggle, but it disturbs the viewer, and confuses their eye. On feature films, we put a ton of work into the clarity of an action sequence. With clarity, you can start making shorter and shorter cuts without losing your audience. The Bourne movies have lots of great action scenes where the cuts are fleeting, but you still can follow the flow (I didn't work on this series, but its a master class in editing action).

Lastly, if you prepare some detailed storyboards, I can have a look and make some recommendations prior to your shoot.

- Thomas

Last edited:
Thanks a lot guys!

8salacious9: The storyline? What storyline? It's almost nonexistant, this was mostly an experimental video to test effects and see what we could do. Thank you for the concern.

Back