• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Tips, how to film someone in wardrobe?

Hey everyone,
I'm studying film in the second semester and I'm working on my first short film. I have one problem: For several scenes the main character is sitting in his wardrobe/closet as this is the space where he hides if he has a problem (explained in the film.) My problem now is, I don't know which way would be the best to film that?

As this is a no-budget production I can't build a big wooden box and leave a side open or cut a sidepanel out of a wardrobe or something. Theoretically I could let my cameraman stand squeezed into the corner of the wardrobe and the main character sit in the front, but it'd be fairly uncomfortable. Also, what kind of light should I use in the closet? I was considering him to just have a flashlight that is the only light source, that would be very bright though, whereas without any light at all it would be too dark. I have basic lighting equipment from the college available.
I was also thinking about just leaving the doors open and standing outside but I'm pretty sure it would make it fairly hard to film it as if the wardrobe was closed.

Has anyone got ideas which way would be the best to film someone sitting/hiding in his wardrobe, punching the inner wall etc? (plus an idea for the light?)

Thanks!

First of all, Welcome!

To answer your question, I would cheat it. So for example you could make it that there are so many clothes hanging in the wardrobe that he is totally surrounded by them closely. That way you don't even need to use a wardrobe at all. Just use a longish focal length so you can stay nice and tight with the shot. Have the clothes/coats hanging draped very close to his head so that's all you see. Keep the rest of the room where you film pretty dark so natural light doesn't give away the illusion. If it's where he goes to be alone it will fit the mood as well, to be right up close to him visually, because the viewer will feel more like they are in a very private space with the character.

To sell it we see him enter and exit the actual wardobe and then cut to your cheated shot.

I was considering him to just have a flashlight that is the only light source, that would be very bright though,

What kind of flashlight are we talking here? And what kind of camera have you got? I would do some test shots because, in my experience at least, a single, normal flashlight isn't going to produce much light at all as far as what the camera can pick up goes.

Good luck with your shoot. Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
The camera is a Panasonic ac-ag90. I have a maglite Pro flashlight, didn't actually think it would work too well myself though, was just thinking about what to do because obviously in a wardrobe with closed doors it will be pretty dark, probably too dark if actually filming in a wardrobe.

Thanks for the fast reply!

Back